Symphony of an Explosion

[This was written in 2008, just posting it up here cause I liked it]

Sticks and stones may break your bones,

But I will never hurt you…

Here it is again. Another lonely day filled with the same content as before. Nothing new. Nothings changed. I walk through the halls of my school. Vision blurry, unfocused, there is no need to pay attention. I know where I am going, others will go around me.

It won't be until its too late that I'll notice the silence. Silence from the silence. The obnoxious children will hold their tongues. We can all sense it. Feel it. Like the pain you imagine before it happens. The animals have sensed it first. Giant herds of predators and prey head north.

We won't know where it came from. Probably the east. A mass of smoke, fire, and debris. We are the new Pompeii. This time its world wide. I'll go as low as I possibly can. Terror through us all. Running on adrenaline. Bodies of my classmates annihilated. Incinerated. Ashes to ashes. Dust to dust.

When the worst is over the survivors will come up for food. Devour anything they can get a hold of. Cannibalism will be our only hope. The groups will turn on each other. The only hope is solitude.

What doesn't kill you makes you weaker for the next attack.

Survival of the strongest.

I'll travel north, following the animals. Staying away from major cities and other people. The world will be a desert waste land. Savage. Feral. Ruthless.

I will have forgotten the life in which I led. I will have forgotten my friends; family. Emotion holds no noose over my head. There will only be the here and now. Live or die. Fight or Flight. The beast within will show through. I am not the person I was before the end. Just another creature looking to survive.

You'll have followed. One day you'll make your move and corner me. Emotions will strike like a caged bull. Love. Hate. Anger. Jealousy. Happiness. Me. You. Us.

It will be a showdown, a battle of strength and will. Primal nature.

The bell rings, I wake up. The image of a carnal version of us flashes through my head.

I bide my time until then.

Sticks and stones may break your bones,

But I will rip your heart out…
October 7th, 2009 at 03:43am