" ... And believe me, you DON'T want to know how to get grease from a turtle!" (Or how Tom Selleck is my new BFF.)

Well, I'm very excited, because I get to start off this journal with some very good news. Ever since I got back from Britain two weeks ago, I've been running around like a madman looking for a new part time job. I have been handing in my applications to anywhere I'd see that was hiring and had been stalking Craiglist religiously. Anyways, a few days ago, I spotted an ad for a new part time position at one of the jewelery stores at the nearest mall. Yesterday, I went by and dropped off my updated resume and cover letter to the manager, at around one - thirty. She told me to come back for an interview that day at about four - fifteen. When that was over, she told me to come back today for a follow up and to bring my SIN, photo ID, references and a void check for direct deposit. She then handed me a bunch of paperwork, which took me over forty minutes to fill out, and when I was done, she told me that I was hired and should be starting sometime in the next two days. =D

When I got around to telling my mom, she told me, "I knew you'd get it! I knew she'd choose the right one!" I felt really good for a moment, because I felt like I was "The Chosen One." =)

The starting hours aren't the greatest - she said to only expect ten hours a week when I'm starting - so I'm still on the hunt for another P/T job. But I do expect it to pick up as the holiday season looms closer. When I got back home, I posted the good news as my status. One of the people who commented on it was my friend James (but we all call him Big Jim because he is, in every sense of the word, a fucking tank.) He's one of the most hardcore dudes I know. He has his own metal project called Amplitusion. It's literally a one man metal band. Anyway, whenever he comments on something, he's always so extreme about it. Today, he was like, "YYYYEEEEAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! CRUSH EXTREME!!! YOU ROCK!! \m/"

And I love that he's always so stoked about everything. It fills me with ineffable excitement and joy in return. It's like having your own personal motivator.

Speaking of how awesome my friends can be, I was recently hanging out with my brother Sean and a couple of our friends. I was watching them play hockey and was chatting with them when they were done. Andrew had somehow found a really goofy fake mustache and his brother David was taking silly mobile pix.

Image
Hehehe. What a goose.

Anyways, I walked in on this and trying not to laugh, asked him, "So ... how goes, Tom Selleck?"

"He's going very well, actually" Andrew replied. "You know, he actually called me up earlier today and asked me ... 'Andrew .... how do you get your mustache to shine like that?' "

I laughed.

"Canola oil, I told him," Andrew continued. "Just rub that into your top lip for maximum moisture and shine."

"But wouldn't that make your mustache really greasy?"

"Nope, not with the way I treat it!" he continued. "You see, then you rinse out the canola oil, and then put in a small dash of turtle grease. And believe me, you DON'T want to know how to get grease from a turtle!"

Sometimes, I do ROFL IRL. "That explains so much, and yet, so little, Andy." No wonder I love keeping him around.

I get by with a little help from my friends. =D
- Linden
October 7th, 2009 at 07:04am