Dreaming in a society where routine has become the norm.

Upon graduating high school and entering my freshman year of college, I could not have been more excited then. I have now been in college for three long months, and my fall break is quickly approaching. As I sit here though, I can't help but think "why?"
Why am I here? Well I could count the reasons, I am here because my parents told me that I am going here. I am here because that's what people are supposed to do when they graduate high school. But is this what I want? I don't know anymore. I sit here everyday and think about how much of my life I live in routine. Monday through Friday, I get up go to class, go to lunch, go to my dorm and do work and study. Then on the weekends I study and hang out, not that there is much to do. But that's it, I will be doing this for the next four years of my life to attain a diploma and become a teacher in English. This is not my dream though, this is what my parents have told me that I am going to do. It seems like when you are a child all you hear is "If you dream it, you can achieve it!" Is that true though? Because after a while they begin to tell you that you should get your head out of the clouds, and they begin to plant into your mind what they want you to be because it's a "stable" job. And as a child that wants to make my parents proud because I am the first to go to college, I just don't think that it's fair for them to try and live through me.
How is anyone supposed to dream, and try to achieve their dream if all we do is sit here in our comfortable, routine lives. Have people given up on dreaming because they have become so accustomed to how they live now that dreaming is out of their comfort zone?
What if you don't want to give up? What if you want to throw it all away just so you can dream? Just so you can try to reach your destiny, and what if you don't reach your dream, would it really matter? Maybe you won't reach it, but would you regret it if you never tried? Would you regret it if you did what society says and sit back living your life in such a routine that you already know what is going to happen day after day?
Well would you?
-Katy
October 12th, 2009 at 06:01am