Have you ever had someone pick apart your work like a vulture?!

Hi.

So I'm a writer, obviously, and I expect criticism of my work. Pretty obvious. Yet, I'm kind of taken aback. It's not on mibba, but someone commented on one of my entries and it was really long. Which, is not something I'm particularly upset about. I'm just caught off guard. I suppose I've never actively dealt with someone who can pick apart my work word for mother fregin word. I'm not use to it. I kind of don't understand it. So, that's why I'm posting a journal.

How do you handle someone picking parts of your work apart and then try to good from bad? How do you recover from someone belittling your work, unexpectedly? I suppose later I'll be able brush it off, but for now, I'm extremely baffled.

Any advice? By the way, it's not like I've never experienced criticism. It's something I've asked for. Yet, never really dealt with, and I don't want this to always be my reaction. So...how do I grow to accept another belittling something that I love? I hope I'm not taking this to some extreme. At most, I'm just very confused. Most of the things this person said were correct, but they were fully intended to occur within my work. So that's why I feel like he or she was putting down my work, you know what I mean? Like saying in a round about way. "Oh, it's good, but it could of been better." I'm a perfectionist, so I suppose you can take from that why I'm very much taken aback by this.

Also, I plan to print it out and highlight the parts that could help, sound like too much?!?!

TTFN!
Hopefully someone has some advice for me :D
Sorry for the crappy journal title...I suck at titles, haha.
October 13th, 2009 at 03:10am