A Small Topical Rant (Alternatively: Some rap music actually has substance. I know, right? BLASPHEMY.)

This is just something that I want to get off my chest. I haven't been having the greatest of days today, although I don't really want to get into it. I'm in a ranty mood.

It's something that really gets under my skin and really irritates me. I know it's something I've ranted about before, but it still ticks me off. I'm not too proud to admit that I can be a bit of an elitist asshole when it comes to music, but I try to give everything a chance. So it bugs me to no end when I hear or see some little twat go, "oh, I hate rap music, it's for preps and it sucks!"

I'm left thinking, "if even I can get past it, then so you can you. Grow the fuck up."

Now, I'm not saying that you guys aren't free to your opinions. I just don't appreciate it when people are ignorant about it. No, you don't look cool, you don't look rebellious, you don't come off as a musical highbrow - all it serves is making you look like a giant fool. However, I realize that a lot of you aren't exposed to a lot of rap / hip hop music outside of the Top 40, most of which, I agree, is complete and utter shite, but to generalize ... it's ridiculous.

But, onto my main point - in the pool of music that I do like, the majority of it hasn't really made an emotional impact on me. (But when the majority of your music also includes themes of horror movies, science fiction and lurid sexuality, what can you expect, really? I love my Psychobilly.) Although Tiger Army has made me cry with one or two of their songs, but this is beside the point. I really do appreciate well written lyrics, but as for ones that really leave a lingering impression and really make you stop and think ... this song takes the cake.

So, I implore you people, to please listen to the song posted below and give hip hop maybe, another chance. This song never ceases to send a chill down my spine.



- Linden
October 13th, 2009 at 07:23am