The Powerful Magic of Words

So the Uni recommended Teach Yourself Creative Writing and I've just started reading it. It states, on page 4:

Writing is a good way to reduce stress and relieve depression. Simply writing any troubles down makes them seem more manageable. Re-living past traumas on the page can reduce their power to haunt. Writing is a way of taking control over your life. Therapy might not be your primary motivation for becoming a writer, but writing is certainly an effective way of keeping anxiety at bay. In fact, I can say that if you write regularly you will look and feel better without even needing to get up from your chair! It is that powerful a magic.

Naturally, I was reminded of my blog. I started writing it to get out of writer's block, but I suppose it did become my therapist. And now I'm wondering if I would have managed to make friends if I hadn't written (or typed if you want to get pedantic) my anxiety down. Maybe I'd still be standing in the middle of my room, ready to go out, staring at my door and feeling sick with nerves every time I decided I wanted to talk to people. Maybe not, I don't know, but it did make me wonder.

But yes, I do have people I no longer hesitatetoo much to call my friends. 7 of them actually. And I think I'm in a band with 5 of them. I say think beacuse we haven't really talked about it apart from deciding who will play what and being inspired by Ghostbusters 2 to call ourselves Fishing for Goo. But we'll see. I miss being in a band...

My love life - "my what?" I hear myself ask - is still pretty shambolic (I think that's a word), but we wont go into that...

But apart from that (and the fact I need a job, and still haven't written anything that wasn't set by my Creative Writing teacher), it's all good. Now, I think I'm going to go make my tea.

Mmm...Carbonara.
October 14th, 2009 at 07:05pm