Am I a bad friend?

So here's my dilema: My best friend, the girl whom I practically grew up with, is in Niciragua until December. THAT isn't even what's bothering me! She decided, because her birthday is in September and she was only going to be in the country a few weeks, she was going to celebrate her birthday in October. That way, she'd know people better and have a better time celebrating.

The day of her real birthday, I didn't think too much of sending her a message on Facebook (that sounds terrible, but I'm usually very good at remembering birthdays!) because SHE told me she wasn't going to be celebrating in September. Well, when I saw everyone else and their mom's wishing her a happy birthday, I sent her a message the next day. THEN she sent an email tell us (in particular, ME) how her host family gave her a party on her birthday. I can't tell you how horrible I felt after that. The girl who has known her since she was seven was a day late, but the people she's known for two friggin' weeks gave her a party on her birthday!

When her 'other' birthday came around, I wasn't sure if she was still going to do something. She changed her September birthday to October on Facebook, and it was still there. So I said "Happy other birthday!!(?)". I was trying to be funny, but also say "Hey, what the heck is going on?" Another girl, who is also very close to her (but annoys the he** out of me) recently sent a message "Haha, look at the faux-friends who don't know when your birthday is!" Am I out of line to be annoyed/sad/confused and very pi**ed? Please share your thoughts!!
October 22nd, 2009 at 06:31am