Green Day - Manchester Evening News Arena 31-10-09

About 15 years ago, I stumbled across this band called Green Day, a song called Basket Case, an album called Dookie. I thought they were amazing, bought the album and finally managed to get hold of Kerplunk. In the past 15 years I have never been able to get to see them live, whether it was because I didn't have the money, the dates were awkward or the venue too far away. Finally, when they announced this tour I was in a position to go, and I was finally lucky enough to get tickets to their show in the Manchester MEN arena, on Halloween of all nights.
As you can imagine, I've been beyond excited from the moment the confirmation email came through that we'd got the tickets. So what if they were seating tickets, I would still be in the same room as Billie Joe, a man I've had a crush on most of my life! I would still be seeing one of my all time favourite bands play live, an ambishion finally being realised.

Finally the day had come and I made my way up to Manchester with my husband, Dean, a man who has never really been a fan of Green Day.
We made our way into the arena and watched the support act - Prima Donna - warm up the crowd. Although they weren't too bad, I've got to admit that this was the most disappointing part of the night, I've seen much better support acts, such as the suprise band who came out, The Foxboro Hottubs!!!!, for those of you who don't know, a band that's a side project for the Green Day guys. This was a very welcome suprise and got me up dancing. They only played three songs - Stop Drop and Roll, Mother Mary and Sally.

As you can imagine, when Green Day themselves took to the stage the crowd errupted.

Don't ask me what the order of songs were, I don't even know if I can remember all the songs they played!
If I remember rightly, they opened with 21st Century Breakdown, followed by Do you know your enemy. They also played East Jesus Nowhere, Holiday, Boulevard of broken dreams, Are we the waiting, St Jimmy, before heading into old school Greenday, playing Hitchin a Ride, Basket case, Welcome to Paradise, Brain Stew, Jaded, and even Going to Pasalaqua before doing their cover of Operation Ivy's Knowledge, where they even got members of the audience up on stage to play drums, bass and guitar.
Other songs they played were 21 guns, King for a day, When September Ends, Minority and Good Riddance. I know I've missed songs out, but I can't for the life of me think which ones, when I remember I'll get back to you :)

Greenday really know how to put on a show for their fans, and their show was undoubtibly the best show I've ever seen and it was the best night of my life (maybe second only to my wedding day....a close second)

A night I will never forget! :D

When I get the chance I'll put some pics on here too :)
November 1st, 2009 at 04:52pm