I believe you're the one being rude.

Yesterday, my friend Stephanie walked out of class crying. Apparently, my English teacher had pulled her aside and - in front of a whole class - loudly told her that by being so quiet, she was being rude.

Stephanie is one of the quietest girls in school, if not the quietest. But it's not really her choice. Her voice is just quiet. Every year, her parents send letters to all of her teachers explaining that. Of course, my English teacher still made that comment.

What really makes me mad, though, is how hypocritical it is. At the beginning of the year, she gave us this huge talk about how she's really quiet and was told she wasn't going to be a teacher because of it. Then, at the end of the talk, she explained how it was just her vocal chords or whatever and there was nothing that could be done about it. Same thing with Stephanie.

My English teacher is just a hard person to like. She never means what she says and is very strongly opinionated. I hate the way she teaches, too. She tries to teach writing styles, not tricks. As an example, when she was telling us about how we should use detail, she gave us a format that we were forced to write our sentences in. Then, on the actual graded assignment, she only gave out good grades to the people who followed that exactly. Needless to say, I got a bad grade for trying to add originality. It kinda feels like the one poem where the art teacher told everybody how to draw flowers and eventually all the kids could no longer draw their own flowers when they were given a chance to do it themselves.

But, anyways. Stephanie's upset, and I'm just mad.
[/rant]
November 12th, 2009 at 05:29am