Just Sayin ' - First Part Last/Peter Pan

You've all heard of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, right? Where he's born old and his life is reversed? Well, I read this amazing book by Angela Johnson entitled The First Part Last about a 16 year old boy who has to raise his new born daughter without the baby's mother. In the book there's a little part [I can't say it word for word] where he talks about what if people were born all knowing and died innocent and happy. Wouldn't that be great? I can't think of any cons to it at the moment, but you tell me what you think the up's and down's of it would be.

"The reason bird's can fly and we can't is simply because they have faith and to have faith is to have wings." -J.M. Barrie

Don't you think Peter Pan's life is sad? I mean, even though he gets to live in eternal youth and happiness, he has to forgets his own adventures and the things in learned from the world to stay a child. That's pretty much forgetting everything about your life and having no warm, fuzzy thoughts to occupy yourself with. But for him, everyday's an adventure, so I guess he can't fit everything in, but it's sad that he can't remember his time with the Darlings and their generations. It's sad that he can't learn to love because he'll always forget it. Wouldn't it be sad to never love?

Also, at the end of the book it says something on how he would visit the home of the Darlings and etc. as long as children were heartless and happy(?). But what if their home burned down or their family all moved away to a distant country. What would happen to poor Peter then.

And the girls he whisks off, too. He himself claims that he never wants to grow up, but it's because of him that these girls grow up because they taste love for the first time. And it really must be hard to have your heart broken at such a young age just because Peter's too stubborn to get on with life, but I guess it's all part of the process.
November 18th, 2009 at 01:12am