Is the Twilight fad going overboard?

A few things happened to me in the past few weeks that have gotten me thinking: has the Twilight fad started to go overboard? Are people taking it too seriously?

Exhibit A: I'm in choir at my school, and as tradition with our choir teacher, we have to play a game to get to know each other on the first day of the trimester. We go around the room and say our name and something interesting about us, then name every person who's gone before us. A girl in my class stood up, said her name, and without missing a beat added, "And my boyfriend legit thinks he's a werewolf." I've known this girl for over two years, and she's not one to joke about those kinds of things. Now, I don't have any conclusive evidence to back up her statement, but if this guy seriously thinks he's a werewolf, then..well, I'm just speechless.

Exhibit B: I was sitting at my lunch table today and two guys at the table next to me started talking to a girl sitting at their table. They asked her if she was 'one of those Twilight freaks', to which she replied, "Yes." A few minutes later, I heard one of the guys say that his cousin thinks he's a werewolf. Granted, the person he was talking about could be the same person the girl in Exhibit A is/was dating, but the chances are slim considering there are approximately 800 kids in just our Sophomore class.

This, however crazy, probably means that other people are like this, too. I've thought about it, and to me, it seems like guys are trying to be Jacob Black, or Edward Cullen, to impress girls. Is that true? Maybe.

Exhibit C: has anyone seen the new Burger King commercial? I rolled my eyes when I saw it. It starts off with these two guys arguing over who's on what team, Team Jacob, or Team Edward. Then, as the commercial progresses, it shows multiple people, including two old ladies, arguing over the teams. I didn't even realize that it was a Burger King commercial until it said, "Why can't we just compromise?" Or something like that. Then it showed two guys eating food from Burger King. Now, honestly, what does Twilight have to do with the food you're selling? Seriously, answer that for me, because it doesn't make any sense to me at all.

I guess this is more of a rant, but I'd love to hear you guys' opinions (:


PLEASE, NO Twilight bashing of any kind. This journal is NOT about Twilight and whether or not I like it or not, but about the effects that it has on people. If you start a conversation about something that does not pertain to the topic of this journal, your comment WILL be deleted. Thank you.
November 20th, 2009 at 10:10pm