Medial Miniscus and ACL

I've been injured fo the past few months. At one point I was in a wheel chair. I tore my ACL last summer but didn't think I had hurt myself that badly so I just ket on playing basketball. Without my ACL I didn't have as much support in my knee so my knee kept on slipping putting pressure on my medial miniscus (I don't know what it is either). About a month ago my miniscus tore. now that HURT! That is probably the only time I've gotten that close to crying from physical pain.

I had surgery to repare my miniscus within three days. Surgery really didn't scare me that much but the nurse that was taking care of me was sort of annoying. She must have thought I was 7 or something. She was treating me as if I was a idiot. Though I can somewhat understand because at one point I got pretty loopy from the anesthetics they were pumping into my arm through the IV. that was probably right before I passed out. I don't remember a thing about my surgery the only thing I remember is this asian doctor putting something in my IV and then getting very sleepy then passing out as they started to wheel me out the door.

I woke up in a recliner chair in the hospital with my dad next to me. It turns out that I had been Knocked out for a half hour after the surgery had finished. Some of that might have been natural sleep though because it was pretty early in the morning and it's pretty reasonable that I might be tired. I was num and loopy that whole day. I had thought post- surgery would be worse because they had just cut into my body but my first day was blessedly peaceful

That night I woke up at 4 am in horrible pain. It sucked. I couldn't even walk downstairs or move around in bed because that just made it hurt more. It was a school day but it was so obviuos I wasn't going to go to school that day. There's just to much pain to make going to school reasonable. I decided the pain wasn't that bad and I could use some more sleep anyways so I lay in bed for the next 3 hrs trying unsucsesfully to get some extra shut-eye.Finally my mom came upstairs and had mercy on me.

Since my surgery I have decided that Narcotics can be very good things if you don't get addicted to them. They're much stronger than advil and can take of the edge of the worst pain. For the next 3 days I lay down with my knee slightly bent without moving. I was hopelessly bored the whole time and I didn't even have the option of doing something else because the agony it would cause me to move. Getting pam[ered because of my injury was fine but I would have much rather have not been injured at all.

On wedsday I went back to school... In a wheelchair. Ugh. I hate being so helpless and having to bepend on every body else to do everything for me. Safe to say I wasn't in a great mood but I put on my happy face to get all the annoying helpers off me. Anyways they weren't trying to be meant they were just trying to assist the helpless cripple, and I would much rather have way too many helpers than just having everyone ignore that I might need help with things. I think one of the only good things about this was that for a little while I was one of the most popular people in school. But it was fake temperary popularity that didn't mean much to me. Actually isn't all popularity that way. Well, I can say one thing beingpopular is definitely not worth being in pain. I got out of that wheelchair as fast as I could.

In two days I was on crutches and in another week i was down to one crutch. With one crutch i had to wear this huge hulking mass of a brace on my leg. Well, *sigh* at least it was black and black goes with every thing (except brown) You want to know what really sucked though, having volleyball practice every morning. I got to watch the rest of the team that I used to be on play and run around playing one of my favorite sports. It was very depressing. I couldn't even not go to practice because It was during 1st period and it was too far into the semester to change my schedule. I also became good friends with the managers becaus they're the only ones to talk to when you're sitting on the sidelines every day. Dallas and Meg are sort of weird but actually pretty cool once you get to know them and i vastly prefer them to some of the stuck-up bitches that go to my school.

I slowly got better and i got of the meds. It took me long enough that some people I hadn't ever met knew me as the "crutch girl". I really didn't know what to think about that. Right now I Finally have that Gosh Damned brace of! (if this seems dorkey its because i don't swear if i can help it) I can bend my knee past 90 degrees! and best of all I CAN WALK!!!!!Without any assistance at all I can walk. this is a totally huge deal and I'm so happy about it. I dream about running though. I'm not aloud to run until I get my ACL repaired and I can't get my ACL repaired until I stop growing. I'm out from sports for the whole year :'( I love sports. thaey are a huge part of my everyday life. Before my knee injury I was on 4 rec basketball teams and one club and a full time club volleyball team. Now I can't even try out for my crappy school team. I dream of running and playing sports again. Icouldn't imagine what it's like for people who unlike me knkow that they will never walk again. I'm fortunate that this is just temperary and I'm extatic about walking. I dread going through surgery again for my ACL but I also ca't wait for it to happen so I can get back on the court.
November 24th, 2009 at 03:18am