What are you thankful for?

Why isn't the journal section gone yet haha? All the entries I'm writing now are going to get erased when the blog section comes. Well anyway instead of complaining about that I thought I'd write a little something about being thankful, and not in a spiteful way, but in the spirit of Thanksgiving for those of us who celebrate this holiday.
I know that Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays because I get to be with my family and friends and there's lots of good food and good times all around. We have the traditional dishes like turkey, mashed potatoes and corn and the not so traditional dishes like paapers (Fried doughy type thing) and Kulfi (type of ice cream) The point is that we're all having it together so the meal just tastes so much better. A lot of my family lives far away so I really only get to see them once a year and that's why I guess it's so special to me. But it's not all about family really. It's more about the root of the word. The holiday is called Thanks-Giving. Wow! Two significant words in one.
Thanksgiving was taught to us in school when we were very young. The whole thing with the pilgrims sharing their food with the Native Americans and sitting there in harmony, eating a nice shared meal together is one point of thanksgiving. The other point is to just give thanks to everything that you've been given or blessed with. OK, maybe you don't believe in any religion or a God, but you can still be thankful for what you've received, whoever or whatever it's from and it's the same with people who have a religion and believe in God. Be thankful to what he gave you and to all of the people around you. But it doesn't just stop there! Be thankful not just about the people in your life, but about the things you have too. There are always going to be people above you, that's a fact. No one really can have it all. But if you keep looking up at what you don't have rather than looking right to what you do have, you'll never be happy. Ever. I can guarantee that. There's always people below you too and you need to look at them and be thankful to all you have which they unfortunately don't have. Some people don't even have clean drinking water and I used to waste water when I was younger. I thought about this one day, that the kids who don't have clean water would conserve any source of clean water they got to the last tiny little drop. So I did something about it, and it really wasn't even anything big at all. When I brushed my teeth I closed the faucet while I was brushing. I drank every last drop in my bottle of water instead of throwing it out and finally I was thankful for the water I was able to always have.
Little things like that can change your attitude and your life completely. I once heard a cute riddle that went like this: "What's one gift that you are always happy to receive and can be re-gifted?" The answer was a Thank you. I'm happy when I get a thank you because that means people are noticing my effort to help them and when you thank someone they are happy you notice their efforts.
Moral of the story: Just be thankful for what you have and help those below you as much as you can. The 'Thanks' and 'Giving' doesn't have to stop after Thanksgiving is over. It should be celebrated year round. A Thanks and Giving are some of the best things any person can do, no matter what age you are or where you live. We have so many 'thanks' to give away so lets do it!
November 24th, 2009 at 03:21am