Lets Get Physical

With the accumulating stress of being a college student, the hard economic times, and everyday life, it's important for students to have a release to maintain a healthy balance.

"The overwhelming amounts of schoolwork, projects, part time jobs, and active social lives can stress out some students. Exercise allows you to get away from it all and your brain releases powerful natural chemicals that boost mood, relax your body, and leave you feeling happier and more focused," said Maxwell Payne of the Associated Content Lifestyle edition.

The college provides opportunities for exercise through a variety of gym classes, and fitness- oriented facilities available on campus. The Ammermen campus offers a weight room, cardio room, and fitness room all free for student use, and conveniently located on the lower floor of the Brookhaven Gym.

Similar to policies held by high schools on Long Island, the college enforces two gym courses as a graduation requirement. However, unlike many high schools, the college offers a vast variety of classes that fit any fitness level, or personal preference.

"I really enjoyed taking bowling as a class. It was a great time and actually improved my game," said sophomore and liberal arts major Nick Testagrose.

Students are able to choose their gym courses based on what they want to take away from it. whether it be improving their game, bettering their basic day to day health, or just having fun and being active.

"My pilates class not only taught me the necessary moves, but also to be more aware of my nutrition and how to live a healthier day to day life. I continued to build on the fundamental skills I learned after the class was finished," said freshman interior design major Alyssa Audette.

The courses provide a sturdy base of fundamental skills, teaching proper execution of exercises, as well as ways to better your everyday life. This gives students the experience to pursue the sport or exercise, incorporating it into their everyday lives, and bettering their personal fitness; allowing a healthy release for stress.
November 24th, 2009 at 05:05pm