Writer’s Hint No. 3: Writer’s Block

So, I know that I have been gone for a long time, and I apologize. But I do plan to continue with the Writer’s Hint series, at least until they get rid of the journal section. I like writing these because they help me as well, and I really do try to use my own advice.

In this installment, I will be focusing on writer’s block. My main reason is that I fall victim to it many a times. I know there are times where I should be writing, where I should be making progress, but I try convince myself that later is just as good as now. And I have heard similar things from other authors. So, I did a little research.

In my research, I discovered that there are actually causes to writer’s block. First and foremost is the one that everyone knows, the lack of inspiration. Why bother if there is no spark, no will, no urge to write? However, did you know that writer’s block can also be caused by lack of sleep or stress? The stress can be due to an illness, depression, or stress in a relationship. Sometimes, it can also be caused by the fear of the size of the project in hand. This usually happens at the beginning of the said project. Undertaking a project such as a book can promote writer’s block because of all the aspects in the beginning of the book, such as finding a hook, introducing a character, naming a character, making a setting, etc. Self-critique can also spur writer’s block because the writer loses motivation to write. Apparently, almost anything can cause writer’s block, so don’t get too discouraged!

Here are some tips I found or remembered that I think might be helpful to overcoming this rather unpleasant condition:

1) Write Everyday: Most writers and writing websites claim this is an essential step to overcome writer’s block. Carve out a block of your time to write, and then just ignore the writer’s block. This will help you because writing will become a habit. Think of it as a job, and after a while, it will become easier to sit down in front of that loose leaf paper or blank document.

2) Re-think Your Writing Space: Places that are too comfortable or too warm tent to cause sleep, whereas, on the other hand, places that are very cold and unpleasant are just miserable working environments. Try finding a well lit place, away from distractions, and telling yourself that you will sit here and write for a certain amount of time. Try a desk if the bed or the couch in front of the TV just isn’t doing the job!

3) Work On More Than One Project At A Time: Some writers find it easier to switch between two or more project, perhaps to reduce boredom. Try writing a poem if you are bored, or work on a new scene in your book. Start maybe in the middle or whatever part interests you the most in your story, if you are finding it hard to start at the beginning.

4) Set Realistic Deadlines: I know that NaNoWriMo is not so easy or realistic for all of us, but it is a great idea. Try set goals for a set time period. Think “I’m going to write at least 500 words before I get out of this chair” (500 words is about two pages double spaced). Try make it realistic based on your own abilities.

5) Don’t Be Too Hard on Yourself: It’s easy to get discouraged, especially if you are insecure about your writing. Don’t try to be too eloquent or overanalyze your previous sections of the writing. Just try to get the ideas down. Just write. There is a time and place for being over analytical and critical. It’s called editing.
November 27th, 2009 at 08:15pm