South Padre Island (Writing Hints)

I come to the island. We walk slow to smell the hibiscus flowers. The sugary smell of hibiscus mixed with the salt from the ocean dances in my nose. We walk inside and sit on the soft squishy couch. We hear the pit-er pater of rain and the cracks of thunder. The storm is over.
We hear the soft, calming noise of the ocean waves and the birds chirping sweet songs of joy. I see ocean waves roll over each other ever so gently. The kites of all colors and shape dance in the air. The steam from the Jacuzzi rises and floats in the air. Soft colors of late spring dance all around. I taste the salt water on my lips. Pool chlorine is a taste I could do without. I can feel the waves crash down on me. The surf board under my feet. Slowly I ride to shore. I step off and the sand oozes between my toes. I love South Padre Island.

In my English class a few years back I learned this technique. I use it to describe settings. I don't always share the full description with my readers but it gives me a good idea of what to do next in my story. It also helps me get over my writers block or it helps to make my characters go crazy. (Lucky them!) South Padre Island is one of the many places I have been to on my journeys. I really do love it there because it is so beautiful.
December 10th, 2009 at 08:22pm