Maturity?

Something happened today that really threw me. I'd love to hear what other people think about this.

There's this girl at my school who I was friends with for about two and a half years. Towards the end of last school year, we started to fight a lot. Over the summer we were friends kind of off-and-on, and earlier this school year we stopped speaking altogether. After a couple months of mutual ignorance, today she gave back to me some of my stuff that she had borrowed (DVDs and such), a postcard that she had written to me over the summer and never sent, and a piece of a photograph. It seems she took the photo from the Christmas card that my family sent out last year and cut my face out of it. She kept the other half of the picture (which features my dog and my little sister) and gave the piece with my face on it back to me.

At first I was sort of incredulous. I mean, really? Who does that? Are we back in fourth grade or something? I guess I can understand her cutting me out of the picture. I guess if she wants to keep the picture that badly and she really can't stand seeing me in it, fine. Whatever. But giving me the other half? That's just childish.

But then it started to bother me. I'm not entirely sure why. It's such a stupid, immature thing to do. At the same time, though, it kind of hurts. I suppose it's just the fact that she's going so far out of her way to rub it in my face... like it's not enough for her to hate me; she has to show me that she hates me. She wants to remind me that she's done with me... but she'll keep my sister and my dog. I hate that she's able to get under my skin like that, even by doing something as dumb as cutting my frogging face out of pictures.

Anyway, I just needed to vent, and I'm hoping someone out there in Mibbaland will have some insight for me. Do you guys think it's reasonable that she did this? Should I be as upset as I am? Please tell me what you think.

~ Franz
December 14th, 2009 at 10:49pm