Way back when we first met. [It's hard to keep up when you're so far behind.]

Judging by the journal title you may just think it's going to be a piece written on love and the loss of it but not this time.

I want to take the time out of my day [one not so busy, might I add] and talk about a dear friend of mine, a girl so close to me it's like we're sisters without the part of being blood related.

Back when I was only 14 [seems so long ago now] I met a group of friends who turned out to be the best of friends I could ever have met, not forgetting my best friend from school too but these girls were my friends from a Rasmus forum and we met over a common interest for this band.

Ever since then we have grown closer, gone out of our way to meet each other. Travelled the distance to make our friendships last and for four year it worked. WE gradually got to know each other and felt we could be ourselves completely around each other. No secrets.

That all changed when our love for this band did not die but it faded. We all changed our tastes in music from only listening to rock now to listening to absolutely anything. Well, three of us did anyway but one didn't. Not so keen on music outside of the rock genre she stuck to what she liked which you can't blame her for.

I only realized my concern for our friendship with her when we met up this weekend and found that our tastes clashed. Whilst we wanted to go out and party, top celebrate a birthday she didn't want to go. Anna* is rather different from the rest of us. We are all different in our own way but Anna; she is the one to be quiet, calm and would rather avoid large crowds and going out where as the rest of us would like a mixture of both the quiet life and the night life.

It's not that we dislike her. It is far from it as I would never leave out my friend but since she did not like going out it was hard to let her stay home whilst we went out. The whole weekend was planned for going out. It was the aim of our meeting and knowing this she came along a little reluctant making it hard to decide on what we were going to do.

What saddens me is that she voiced to me her feelings that she was being left behind due to our changes in music taste, that she felt we were drifting apart because she didn't like what we liked.

All because of our common interest fading, she feels that we are all going a similar way whilst she goes another, staying behind in the time that once was, the time where we all first met.

She said to me "I remember when you used to like only rock, now you're in to other stuff." Yes, that is true. I moved on because it was hard sticking to one genre but that doesn't mean my friendship to her has changed.

"I feel like I am the odd one out."

Similar sayings came out as she voiced her feelings and it broke me because I felt for her. It's not her fault she is how she is. We all have our own tastes in different things I just dislike how music has diminished a friendship slightly. How a simple thing such as music has made me see that we are all not like we used to be which was bound to be as people change.

How can we include her in to our activities when she would rather stay in. I understand her reasons which is personal and will not be mentioned here but despite that what can I do?

During that weekend I felt bad for her as we all went out and she stayed behind. We tried to convince her to come but she didn't want to and we couldn't force her. It wouldn't be fair.

I just don't want her to feel we are going to leave her behind. We won't, we just can't stay in that time and we have moved on since then.

It seems like 'we' [the other two and I] are all together as one but in all fact we all have our differences and sometimes we don't always agree [which is only natural] but we have a common ground other than the one that bound us all together in the first place.

What do I do to make her feel involved if she doesn't like what we like?! It seems we clash in likes and dislikes now and it scares me that eventually we are going to lose her. I hardly even get to talk to her online anymore as she hides away.

This has happened to me before with other friends. I don't want it to happen again.

Do I let things happen, saying they happen for a reason and end up losing her or do I try harder in getting her involved without forcing her?
What do I do?!

How can I help make her feel better?

M00. x

(* used to conceal names for privacy reasons.)
December 15th, 2009 at 12:24pm