Who knits on Mibba? Who's on Ravelry? Eeeee yarn!

So G finally succeeded in teaching me to knit despite my general stubbornness, and now I'm having fun with it. I set up a Ravelry account -- I'm spockface, if any of you lovely Mibbians are also on there -- and I find it a very useful tool for keeping track of my projects and my progress on them. Also my yarn stash and what sorts of needles I have.

I've been telling G I'll make her a few wristwarmer/cowl sets for Hanukkah -- I couldn't make anything during finals, for obvious reasons, and then I had to go home on the third night, so I'm using the time to knit the rest of her gifts in time to give them to her when I get back -- so I finally bought myself a set of size 8 double points and had her pick out some yarn she liked last Friday. I finished her first set of wristwarmers yesterday. They're slightly mismatched -- if you wear them so the ribbing matches, one of the ruffles will be purl-side-out and the other will be knit-side-out -- but eh. They're blocking, and I already remade one of them after I made the bindoff too tight because there are no scissors to be found past the airport security checkpoint.

Then I got my mom to buy me a ton of yarn and needles at Michaels on Tuesday, and I've been knitting nonstop since -- well, with breaks for things like eating and untangling yarn and winding it into balls and looking up what the shorthand in the pattern means and how to do new stitches. I'm currently working on a pair of French Press felted slippers for my nanny using Fishermen's Wool in Oatmeal -- this stuff is wonderful to work with, it's so soft and pretty, and it comes in the biggest skeins I have ever seen. That's not ideal for this particular pattern, since you need three separate balls of about 117 yards each to do it properly, as opposed to one big 350-yard ball, but I'm more than willing to wind balls of this stuff without a ballwinder if it means I get to make these slippers out of it.

And now I think the slippers have spent long enough thinking about their sins, and I shall return to them. Whee!
December 17th, 2009 at 11:24pm