It doesn't feel like Christmas. (Help me find some cheer with stories of your previous Christmases?)

This is the first year I haven't been "into" Christmas. Does that make any sense? I don't know, but I think it might be because every single tradition we've ever had, is gone. I mean, slowly, through the years, the traditions we've had have slowly died out and now everything's different from what I know.

It's tradition that the Christmas must go up on the first of December. Did it? No. Because of my sister's party (which was fun, just so you know) we couldn't put it up. Too many people. We put it up a couple of days ago, and there wasn't even our traditional Christmas carols that we always listen to playing. My older sister wasn't there, either.

Usually, there'd be something I want for Christmas. Anything, and we'd have to write a list. And...like, I don't actually want anything. It just...doesn't feel like Christmas yet. These past two months have gone so fast, what with exams and working. I've bought presents, given presents, but I don't know why I'm not into the Christmas spirit.

Last year, all of the presents that mum and "Santa" had got for us were already under the tree by Christmas Eve, instead of waiting until Christmas Eve like we always did. It's just...different. I liked seeing just the presents for the siblings or mum under the tree, and then in the morning there were lots more for all of us. I remember my brother and I used to get up at six AM and stare at the Christmas Tree and fight the urge to open one - but we could barely see them, anyway, because it was still dark and we weren't allowed to turn on the light incase my parents would see.

And the biggest dead tradition is that my cousins and aunties and our family (and grandma) would always gather at one of our houses on Christmas Eve, and give their presents to each other. That way, we all got three presents before Christmas, so we were happy, y'know? And then we'd all go home (after stuffing our faces, of course) and be able to sleep.

This year, that's all changed. My cousins are actually staying the night and having their Christmas morning, at my house. And I don't know whether to be sad or not, because although I miss the tradition we always had, I'm sort (really, really, actually) excited for them to come and stay. They're all under double digits, and even though only one still believes in Santa Claus (Lauren - she's six) they're still... happy. Do you know that glow you get when you open your first present? I can't wait to see that. That's all I really want for Christmas.

Sorry if you read through all of this and died,
alone; together

P.S. So tell me, what are YOUR traditions, and if you have any funny stories from previous Christmases, you're welcome to tell them, too.
December 18th, 2009 at 09:10pm