Wow...And You Wonder Why People Call You Ignorant?

(note: this happened Monday, but I didn't get to post it until today, just saying....)

So, on Monday, the Spanish and French clubs at our school went on a field trip to a cathedral in Pittsburgh, to learn about culture and such. Before we went back to Ohio, we went to eat at a place called the O. They had this weird setup where you ordered the food at the ground floor and went to actually eat it on the top.

It took us awhile to get our food, so when we and my friend Leann were done, we went up stairs where Melanie and Maiya had saved us a table (there was few people in our group), and the table was by this huge window that had a view. It was really pretty, I mean you could almost see the whole city.

I was looking out the window when I saw a homless man with nothing but a comforter. I instantly didn't feel comfortable eating, because I would look down and see him, and I didn't feel right eating when this man had nothing. I kept bringing him up in the conversation and eventually me and Mariah stopped eating because we just couldn't.

Roberto, a senior who is a really nice guy, said that we should do something. And at that moment somebody who just got there fries, said that they didn't want them. Roberto, being the nice that he is, took he fries (only one fry was touched) and brought it down to the homeless man. I went down to give him money, but one of the upperclassmen said that don't so he wouldn't buy anyting bad with it (he didn't say it in a rude way) so I didn't since Roberto had already given him something.

So, we get back up and everything is fine for a second, then people start piling food on top of a tray, and making a big joke. When we ask what's going on, they said that they were going to give it to the man. They took all the leftover food and went outside with it and offered it to the man, and when he refused they shoved it on his lap, then came inside laughing and looking out the window and pointing at him.

The poor man went into his comforter and cried.....

Of course, me, Berto, Sam, and Mariah threw a big fit about what they were doing. Like, here is a man who has nothing, he's already feeling like crap because he has to beg to get something to eat, and then you guys who are spoiled to the core, or going to that?

I can't even tell you guys how upset I was. I mean, I came home and cried because I was so mad....

Ugh.....
December 19th, 2009 at 03:47am