I Really Just Don't Know Anymore

My parents are NEVER proud of me. Believe me when I say never. Here are some of the worst scenarios.

One day, in Kindergarten, I came home from school with the only one hundred in all of Kinder on a coloring paper. Everything was perfect, and nothing out of the lines. But when I showed it to my mom, she got mad and started yelling at me, saying that real flowers don't have multi colored petals. Because the petals on my flower kept alternating from yellow, to an orange, to a light pink, because I didn't know how to put all those colors on one petal of course. Because, as I said, I was in Kindergarten. Which is kinda rude, considering my little brother colors unicorns really horrible, and only colors things green. We have to buy alot of shades of green.

So in the first grade, I tried a new approach, to get my parents to smile at me. I tried academics. Now I'm still working on this one, but the beginning and still right now are horrible. In first grade, I got into the Gifted and Talented program. We called it GT. Well of course, when I brought the letter home, my parents got mad and asked why I hadn't gotten the letter in Kinder, like my older brother.

In third grade, I got into the talent show with dancing and singing with my friend Hannah. My mom and dad didn't even ask to watch, and when they saw Hannah, they asked why I couldn't be as tall as her, because I was quite short for my age. And then they said I didn't sing and dance as good as her when they were watching the video of it.

In fifth grade I was in choir and in the after school orchestra program. Well my mom said that I wasn't all that serious about singing anyways, which I was, but she still refused to drive me early to school for choir practice in the mornings. And afterschool, she'd always be grumpy, saying that it was a waste of time and money playing my violin, because she'd never heard me play before, and when she did, I was warming up, and she asked why I hadn't made any progress because I always played my scale for warmup.

My mom and dad go to my concerts, and they kinda encourage me now, but they never smile at me. And when I get really high grades, like just a couple of days ago, we got our progress reports, and I got nothing under a ninety-three, but my dad asked why there weren't even any hundreds. And I got high A's! I even got a ninety nine and a ninety eight. AND a ninety seven.
December 20th, 2009 at 10:48pm