Is He a Jerk? Did I Do the Right Thing?

It's Christmas and the opened presents are lying in a big pile. Mom decides that she wants to take ours back to our home. Tim, her boyfriend who doesn't live with us, tells her to leave them alone. He wants to stay at our grandparent's house a little longer, seeing as him and grandpa gets along well. Although, mom wants to see how the roads are and get the presents out of the way because mom and I have to get up early. So she puts the presents in the car and starts to drive out when she gets stuck in the big dip where the driveway leads to. She starts helping herself out when Tim comes out to help (note she didn't ask him to). Then afterwards complains at how wet and cold he is because she got stuck. (Who the hell helps someone who didn't ask for it, and then complains afterwards?)
I'm sleeping at this time. So mom comes in and gently wakes me up asking if I want to go home because I don't feel well, which I don't. But in our mother/daughter code talk this is her saying "I want to go home now, can you be my bail?" and me, abusing my sickness, weakly replies yes translating as "Sure, let's go." (Our connection is pretty amazing seeing how different we are.)
As we get ready to leave, Tim complains about how he wants to stay here. She tells him that she's just going to drop me and the presents off, and that she'll be back. He refuses saying that he doesn't stay at someone's house that he's been invited to when the person who invited him leaves. My grandma says she has no problem with him and his nephew, Rome, staying. By now though, he's angry that mom and I are leaving with or without him. So he gets his and Rome's stuff together and leaves with us. The entire time driving (5 min to his house in the snow) he's complaining about how rude she is.
When we get to our house, mom helps him and Rome carry their stuff in. I stay in the warm car, being sick, cold and lazy. When mom comes back in she's crying. I know Tim did something stupid. She tells me how before she left his house he told her she ruined Christmas.
When we got home, since my cell phone was dying I call Tim on mine. He knows it's me, and I tell him that I think he's an a**. That he needs to get off his high horse and get over himself. Then, either because of the snow or low connection, or maybe he hung up on me, our conversation ended.
When my mom found out she said "That was mean…Tim always wanted to know what you thought of this and you told him that?" But our mother/daughter connection told me she was only a little angry, but grateful.

Opinions?
December 26th, 2009 at 12:40am