Thieves! At my house. (Way to end this year with a bang...)

Last night, or this morning I should say, I finally fell asleep sometime around 3 in the morning. I had been playing Monopoly with my sister (age 23) and my cousin (age 13). I totally won by the way :D. Anyway I had trouble falling asleep. Next thing I know my mom is banging on my door at around 9 this morning. {FYI, it's 11 am now}

Right so the first thing out of her mouth is "someone broke into Lily's jeep." [Lily is my sister]
Then she goes on to say the thieves also stole my dad's bike, the weed-whacker, and something else. They busted the front passenger side window of her jeep to steal her purse which was sitting on the passenger seat. Credit/debt cards, her driver's license, everything. That was all they took from her jeep. It doesn't seem as though they looked around in there.

From the back porch they took my dad's bike, and the weed-whacker as far as we know. We can't tell if they took anything else. But they went into our garage and looked through a lot of our stuff.

The funny part about this is that they moved my bike to the side so they could take my dad's.
Haha, that's how crappy and old my bike is, but I love it anyway :] (The end part of my dream from last night, was me locking up my bike.....weird)

The police couldn't lift any finger prints from my sister's jeep, but later (as in about 30 minutes ago) we did find foot prints in the mud near our back porch. We kind of felt like detectives.

BUT WAIT, that's not all. The thieves also hit a house across the street from us. They broke into the washroom that was behind that house and stole a huge box of tools. But, the thieves left behind an dirty blue backpack on a bench in the washroom. The backpack was full of cables for cars, and ropes and stuff. That's all they seem to have taken from that house.

All of this happened at around 5am this morning.
My mom woke up because she heard the dogs next door barking a lot. The dogs bark sometimes and so she probably didn't think too much of it. She went downstairs, opened the side door (the door we always use, the door 5ft away from where my sister's jeep was parked) and made sure the screen door was locked and stuff. She said she would have gone outside to make sure the gate was locked and stuff but she said that she didn't because it was practically morning anyway.
I hate to think what would have happened if she had gone outside.

So now, all those hours of overtime my sister put in before and after Christmas are going to pay for her broken window. I think that really sucks because she was working a lot this holiday season. She has insurance, yet she still has to pay over $500 to fix that broken window.

Because they went through our garage, we're scared they'll come back. I hope not, but they probably will. We have no blinds or curtains on the back kitchen window, so they might have looked inside our house.

I'm really scared that they will come back. And if they do come back, I'm scared they will come inside our house.
Honestly, I live in a shitty ass neighborhood in a crappy part of town. I'm not exaggerating this. Even before this, I was afraid to go outside at night. Sometimes when I stay up at night, I hear gun shots. So we think the chances of these people coming back are pretty high.....not a happy thought.
To be honest, I'm scared now.

A thought crossed my mind that maybe we should buy a gun. Because we live in Texas, we would be completely within our rights to shoot (and/or kill) a burglar. That's totally not illegal here in Texas. But then another thought crossed my mind; I think that might be going a little too far.

Well I know this could have been a lot worse, and I'm glad it wasn't. My dad's truck and my mom's suburban are both unharmed. The police came and went this morning. They told my mom the next time she hears the dogs barking like that again to just call the cops straight away.
I wanted to leave a little toothpick sign by the footprints for when they come back that says "we have your footprints." Haha, but I probably won't do that.

If there's one thing I hate, it's people who steal from others. Seriously, get a fucking life.

Well as today is New Year's Eve, I wish you all a safe and happy new year :]

(I apologize for my cursing in this journal)
December 31st, 2009 at 06:41pm