She quit her job... to spend time with her boyfriend

I'll give you a moment to soak that in.

Now, here's the story.

A friend of mine failed her last year of school. She spent the next year doing nothing she said she was trying to get a job but she really wasn't. Not when if she was serious about it she could have at the most taken a short course in Administration and gotten a receptionists job or something. There are a million things she could have done and she did none of them. She basically just sat at home applying for jobs online.

The next year came around and she finally managed to get employed by an agency who would give her shifts at different places doing various things (mostly packing stuff) but she didn't get much work so kept looking.

Then she got a full time job, around the same time she got a new boyfriend and everything honestly looked like, after a year and a half of her sitting around on the couch doing nothing, it was going well for her. I was happy for her, all our friends were happy for her. It was one big happy party.

Then a few weeks ago she randomly quit that job and we were all confused. The pay wasn't fantastic, but it was money all the less and had her actually doing something.

Yeah... apparently she quit her job because it was taking up too much of her time and she couldn't see her boyfriend enough (need I point out she still saw him on weekends, most weeknights too and they talk all the time anyway).

I'm absolutely dumbfounded. Who the hell does that? It's also worse when right now he's on his uni holidays. When he goes back she's going to go back to having nothing to do during the day and will probably regret leaving her job.

I just... I don't even know what to say. It's completely ridiculous. They've only been going out for 6 months. Why quit a job that took 18 months to get just because for a few weeks you haven't been able to see your boyfriend as much?

what do you think real life is like?

I'm pretty sure there are millions of couples where both people work full time and wish they could see each other more. But guess what? The world doesn't work that way. It's just... it's ridiculous.

And I know he wouldn't have told her to do it because he doesn't seem like that sort of guy... I could be wrong I've only met him a few times. But he does seem genuinely nice and more often than not my gut instinct about people is right.

If she continues this way she's going to do nothing for the rest of her life. Seriously. It worries me, but at the same time, I think I've just reached the point of not caring anymore.

ugh!!!

/rant.

(no but seriously, who quits their job just because they couldn't see their boyfriend of a few months more?)
January 8th, 2010 at 02:57pm