I gots me some writin' blues. (if you have advice I'd like it. But for the most part, I'm just rambling)

Right so. Working on a multi-chapter right now.

I told myself that I would finish this story during my massively long summer break, but I don't think it'll happen. However... I'm still writing it.

The main character is a celebrity. It's my own original story though, so she's a celebrity that doesn't actually exist... only in the confines of my imagination and words.

I've written at least half the story, I'm up to around 17,000 words right now. But last week I prematurely posted the prologue because, well, I felt like it. Ha. Now I'm some-what regretting it. I'm not because I got really great positive feedback for it. In fact, more feedback than for a first chapter of any other story I've posted on here which had me ecstatic. I'm 100% positive that numbers will drop because I don't think it'll live up to the expectation the prologue promises.

Or perhaps I'm just cynical about my own writing who knows?

Anyway, the first chapter, obviously, is written. But it needs some heavy duty editing in re-working and I'm so stuck. Half of it is ok. It just needs touching up and should be good to go, but the first part sets up the character.

The prologue just set up her situation, in a round about way. It was a very brief and vague introduction. The first chapter goes into more detail.

When I was writing it, about two months ago now I think, I was more concerned with just getting dowm, as opposed to how. I prefer to show my readers rather than tell them and with what's written right now I'm just telling them. It's very... well, amateur. And yes I realise I'm an amateur writer myself, but I'm not a beginner writer by any means. I think my writing leaves a lot to be desired, but I know it's not beginner, not when I've been writing since I was 13. And since I was 14 me and my friends had a constant story we wrote together. Over time my writings developed and matured a lot. It has miles to go, but I've come a long way from when I started.

Anyway, what is the first chapter at the moment, half of it is just... crap. It's very beginner in it's style and I just can't seem to find a way to fix it. I need to set it up so that readers understand the level of her fame from an outsider's perspective, but also hers.

She'd not oblivious to how famous she is though, she just doesn't really understand it. I've been watching interviews and reading gossip columns about people who right now have the sort of fame I imagine her having. It's still just something that's hard to bring across in writing.

Oh well.

I don't know whether to re-write that whole part of the chapter, or to work with what I've got. Or maybe I'll do both and see what's best.

argh!!

In some ways I'm glad for the challenge, in other ways in makes me want to give up on it all together. But I know that'd be stupid. Especially since I'm so far in now. I want to finish it to prove to myself that I can. And it's one of the many writing exercises I'm doing preparation for a class I'm taking next semester which I'm so excited for. Eep!

... Just had these thoughts running through my head and they needed to come out because it's frus-strat-ing.

For now, because I've re-discovered how much I love the Olsen Twins I'm gonna go and watch So Little Time. Because I never actually watched that show when it was on because it was on a bad channel that never put it on at the same time. And it was pre-digital recording days. Which oh my goodness, I could not live without anymore. How did we live? Seriously? haha.
January 13th, 2010 at 08:53am