Why people are crazy...dangerous people at a work place

When I was younger I wokred in a grocery store. I noticed there were many different kinds of people in all my 3 years of working there. These people would either drive me crazy or give me a laugh. here are the categories:

1.People who are scared of you
2.People who try to be sneaky
3.Overly agressive/impatient people
4.Touchy feely

I worked as a bagger in the store (yes I'm a girl....and I was a bagger. Should I mention I won 2 district competitions in my 3 years of working there? muahahah bring it on boys, a girl's got you beat at bagging..... wait, I porobably shouldn't be gloating about that). Anyway at my Store the bagger's were not allowed to accept tips when helping people out to their cars. This was because we were paid the same ammount as the other employees as well as it just being a policy for good service to the customers. They shouldn't ahve to feel obligated to tip us for a service that should be our pleasure. Anyway people knew this, and they knew our store's policy (we had it posted in nearly every corner so they wouldn't forget not to tip us). Well From my three years of working there I came to realize I could put people into separate categories and from the time I left the store and got to theri car I would know what to expect by how they acted. I also acted according to 'play' with them for my own amusement. Let me explain how.

The People that fell into the first category, people who are scared of me, would act like this when leaving the store: They would shake, stutter, point out where their car seemed to be, and either walk as quickly away from me as they could to get to the safety of their car (did they forget I as bringing their groceries with me?) or they would walk too close to the buggy so as to watch their groceries and keep an eye on me in case I decided to steal their milk or cheerios. When we'd finally get to the car they would quickly open a door for me while hiding behind it and then quickly jump into the front seat and lock all the doors. They wouldn't keep convorsation and I think some of them didn't breath in case I'd forget about their existence. When I was finished unloading I'd tell them to have a nice day and shut the door. As I got more experienced with this group of people and their behaviors, for my own enjoyment I liked to play with them a bit. I'd conveniently forget to put one item in the car and after shutting the pre-locked door I'd have to knock on their window to hand it to them. I would get two reactions. The first being that they would usually unlock the door so I could open it up and put the item back in, or they would roll the window down to just enough where I could stuff the package in and hope my fingers didn't get caught in a window as they hastily rolled it up.

Now I know these people weren't really scared of me, but they were really scared of teh fact that they weren't going to pay me a tip and they didn't want me to have some insane raction to not getting a tip. Did they not see the 20+ signs all over the store advertising that we won't take tips anyway even if they were offered? I think they were just unsure of not paying a tip and they couldn't handle it.

Which brings me to my next set of people. They are the ones that try to be sneaky about not giving a tip. I had a couple different people who acted oddly. My first instance of someone being sneaky, was the woman grabbed some recycling plastic bags from her trunk (we have recycling bins at the front of the store for customer convenience) and I'm completely used to unloading a shopping carriage and ahving customers take their recycling up to the recepticals and then comeing back to the car. I did ahve one woman, though, who took one scrap of torn plastic from her car, and say she ahd to taek it to the recycle bins. I agreed, not really caring what she did with the plastic, but she didn't return. I didn't feel comfortable leaving her car unattended while it as unlocked, but that was her choice. So after waiting a moment I closed the trunk and began walking away. I saw a stray shopping cart down a lane of cars so I went to go retrieve it before going back into the store. I then found my customer croutching behind a car near hers waiting for me to leave so she could get in her car without paying a tip..... that I wasn't going o accept anyway.

The second instance was of an older woman. I as loading her trunk while she went to go sit in her car and wait for me to finish. I didn't blame her it was cold outside. All the sudden the car turns on and I fiugure it's for heat. I turn around to grab another armload of groceries and when I turn back the car has pulled through the empty space in front and is going off, trunk still open and everyhting. I barely had any of her groceries in the trunk and I kind of stood there in the parking lot wondering what I was going to do with the rest of the groceries.... people get so worried over not paying tips they aren't supposed to pay.

The third situation is with scary and agressive people. I dislike taking these people out (mostly they are men upset at the prices they had to pay or waiting in lines that were too long). I am only 5'2". I'm short. I can't very well defend myself except with a pencil I keep in my pocket at all times. SO I ahve to be cautious when workign with them. One man I took out was excessively angry. I as doing my best to load the groceries into his car in a systematic way and he was helping me while fuming about the service (did I mention we've won best in customer satisfaction for the past 12 years? As well as awards for being in the best 100 places to work. This guy was just angry at life) Anyway, he dropped his eggs by trying to get too many groceries in the car at one time. He exploded and started throwing groceries. He smashed wine, tore up bread topmped on it and continued to throw things. I pulled a sneaky-tip-giver-move and croutched behind the side of his car. I was scared and two otehr baggers came over to help calm him down. Management came out but the guy got in his car and drove away while I spent the rest of my afternoon cleaning up £300 worth of groceries. I've had a laugh about it ever since, but I was fearing for my grocery-packing life. I think it's comfortable to say I wasn't going to get a tip from him.

The final person I'd like to mention is the kind of person who so desperately wants to give you a tip that they will go to nay lengths to give you one. These are usually the old grandmothers or oldfashioned gentlemen that think tipping is an option they don't have to refuse. I used to not war pants with pockets because I didn't liek the look of pockets in my uniform. But after one lady came through I ahve worn pockets and never gone back. Around teh store we knew this customer as the 'tip-lady.' she was going to do antyhing to give you a tip. I had the unfortunate experience of taking her out and chatting with her as I unloaded the carriage. When it came time for me to shut the trunk and tell ehr to ahve a nice day she offered me a tip. I pollitely refused and pointed to my 'no tipping' badge. I briefly explained the no tipping poilicy like we're supposed to when we are offered tips. So she took matters into ehr own hands..... and when I say matters I really meant boobs. She stuffed her hand down my shirt with the papery money and to me it seemed like she left it in there a little too long as well as a little too deep, but she pulled her hand out and said that she didn't want it back now that she had touched my basoombas. I was in shock and have ever since worn pockets with my uniform.

People are crazy. I don't know what makes tehm mental but they all fall into a category. I am not telling you guys this to make fun of them but as in a warning for you to not ever become like them.
January 16th, 2010 at 07:20pm