“It’s just like Twilight.”... Now is that a compliment?!

I find it insulting.
Haven’t you come across that people from today’s society have the tendency to compare most (if not all) of the romantic fiction books, to Stephenie Meyer’s novels?
I’ll give you an example of what Michelle McNealy wrote as a review to the book “Deadly Little Secrets, by Laurie Faria Stollarz..” on the known-to-many amazon webpage.

“Deadly Little Secrets is a good novel, the fact that I ended reading was the simalarity the book had with Twilight-...”
Or we could aswel take a closer look to the book “Nead, by Carie Jones.” The Editorial sure did a fine job expressing its opinion.

Editorial Reviews
From Publishers Weekly
“It's not hard to see Twilight in the DNA of this novel:… Zara has been sent to live with her grandmother in a small remote town in Maine. When her car spins out of control (Calling Stephenie Meyer!), she's rescued by sexy Nick (who turns out to be a werewolf)…”

I stick to the believe that every person has within them a power to write, a power to express themselves in a different way. Now I understand that book reviews refer to Twilight in order for publicity. But that doesn’t erase the fact that there are people outside, around the world that are probably better and have books worth reading totally different to Twilight.

I hate the fact that every time I walk into a library looking for a vampire book, or werewolf related. I have the attendance clapping her hands at me gushing,
“Oh dear, I have the perfect book for you. It is so Twilightish.” - o.O?

But then a month ago a girl named Angela Williams made my day,
This Review Doesn't Mention TWILIGHT!! How is that possible?????, September 6, 2009 (- amazon.)

I was able to smile when reading the title of this; it makes me feel as if some people out there are able of understanding me knowing that in the end we are not that different from each other.

I personally read the Twilight series, devoured it should be the right word. But there’s a time in which we shouldn’t assume that just because a book includes this and that, it is not amusing. I book is a chance to travel into a readers mind, and if comparing it to another, it takes all the magic away from it.

After all assuming, makes an ass out of you and me.
January 17th, 2010 at 01:05pm