Ridiculous.

I am a bit of a dork, and watch the news frequently. That's all about to change after I saw this completely ridiculous story on HLN.

They were actually discussing the "dangers" of piercings and tattoos. I highly doubt it was in the way that you're thinking. They weren't saying that the needles used aren't sanitary or anything like that. They were saying that piercings and tattoos make you more prone to doing drugs or having promiscuous sex. This has to be a joke, right?

First off, this is a news channel. I don't know if they're aware of anything going on in the world, but there is a lot more important topics to be discussed than this. I couldn't believe how serious they were!

The stigma behind people with piercings and tattoos is extremely overrated and quite frankly, disgusts me.

It is art, it is expression. Sure, someone can get a gang affiliated tattoo, but they can also wear clothes, listen to music, and draw pictures that depict the same exact thing. Point is, you can't stop it. It's going to be everywhere.

So sure, it's true that someone can get a tattoo depicting something hateful, but they can also get something as sweet as their babies name tattooed on their arm.

As far as the piercings debate goes, get the hell over yourselves. There are sexual piercings out there, and yes, they are for sexual purposes but that doesn't mean that I should get dirty looks for having a monroe. I don't have anything else pierced, and even if I did, whose business would it be? My own.

People are too judgmental about everything.No one is safe anymore. If you have a piercing, you must be a sex addict? If you have a tattoo, you must be a drug addict?

In case people are choosing to be blind, I'm going to open their eyes up for just a moment: There are sex and drug addicts out there that could be your neighbor. Someone you would never suspect. It could be your boss for all you know.

My point:

Chill. Out.

I still get good grades, I don't do drugs, I rarely drink. My life has not been dramatically altered by the one piercing I have.

Oh, and if someone gets a piercing or a tattoo and starts getting "wild", please explain to me how that the body art's fault? I would say that the person who went wild is to blame. That's an entirely different rant to be typed, but I'm sick and tired of people blaming problems on everything and everyone but the person who is truly responsible. If someone goes psycho after a few tattoos, that's just because the that person has issues, don't honestly say it's because of the tattoos. Give me a break.
January 17th, 2010 at 08:44pm