Wicked the Musical

Image

So recently, I went to see Wicked again.
Wicked was an experience that was unforgettable and unimaginable. Everything in the show is so detailed and thorough. It is definitely something that I will remember for a lifetime.

Firstly, I would like to praise the Ensemble for their AMAZING work. Their singing, their acting and their dance moves were so precise and exact. They followed the original ensemble really well - making it a more exciting show.
I had Pippa Grandison and Lucy Durack as Elphaba and Glinda. Lucy Durack, as always, played the role of Glinda with much enthusiasm - even though she made a slight error in "Dear Old Shiz" when she accidently said "D-" before the ensemble. But everybody makes mistakes, and she covered the slip very well. I didn't expect much from Pippa, because she was new to the show - but I was quite impressed by her singing and her role as Elphaba. I must admit I had read a couple poor reviews of her, but judging from the reviews, I believe she is slowly adjusting to the role of Elphaba. She portrayed the character very well and her singing was pretty good. She cracked on a couple low notes but her "Defying Gravity" must have been her main highlight in the show. I didn't expect it to be, but I was proved wrong as she hit all the high and loud notes in the song.
I had Michael Snell as Fiyero - and I thought he did a wonderful job in that character; especially in his solo, "As Long as Your Mine."

On the downside, I was disappointed by the song "For Good." The song conveyed much meaning, and it was supposed to be a sad, meaningful song. I thought Lucy and Pippa sung the song too quickly. There is nothing wrong by changing a bit from the original, but the tempo was too fast to grasp a meaning to the song.

But overall, the whole show was a success - bringing lessons and a strong theme to the whole plot. It is definitely a musical that I would recommend to anyone.
January 19th, 2010 at 02:16am