Glossary of Football Terms

Here's the dictionary I promised.

AFC: American Football Comference; one of two conferences in the National Football League.

AFC North: One of four divisions in the AFC in which the Steelers, Bengals, Ravens, and Browns play. Division teams play each other twice each year.

home-field advantage: When a team has earned the reward of having a Playoff team play on their field.

Playoffs: The post-season tournament that determines the NFL champion. To get into the playoffs, a team must either win their division or have one of the two best records of all non-division winners in their conference. Their are six teams from each conference. AFC teams only play other AFC teams until the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl: The NFL championship game in which the conference champions from both the NFC and AFC play against each other for the national title.

top seed: One of the top two teams in either the American Football Conference or the National Football Conference.

Playoff berth: A slot in the Playoffs.

bye-week: A week in which a designated team does not play, while others do. A team can have up to three bye-weeks (regular season, wild-card playoffs, super bowl).

division game: A game in which two teams from the same division play each other.

blitz: A defensive strategy in which a linebacker or defensive back vacates his normal responsibilities in order to pressure the quarterback. The object of a blitz is to tackle the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage or force the quarterback to hurry his pass.

defensive end: A defensive player who lines up at the end of the defensive line. The job of the defensive end is to contain the running back on running plays to the outside, and rush the quarterback on passing plays.

placekicker: The player who kicks the ball on kickoffs, extra point attempts, and field goal attempts. A placekicker either kicks the ball while it's being held by a teammate or kicks it off a tee. (They only use tees in kickoffs in the NFL)

tight end: An offensive player who serves as a receiver and also a blocker. The tight end lines up beside the offensive tackle either to the right or to the left of the quarterback.

quarterback: The offensive player who receives the ball from the center at the start of each play before either handing it to the running back, throwing it to a receiver, or running with it himself. The quarterback is usually the player in charge of running the offense on the field. He is also the guy that usually informs the offense of the play while in the huddle.

wide receiver: An offensive player who lines up on or near the line of scrimmage, but split to the outside. His primary job is to catch passes from the quarterback. Also Known As: receiver, wideout, split end, flanker.

scramble: A tactic where a quarterback runs around behind the line of scrimmage to avoid tacklers while buying time for his receivers to get open. An ability to scramble is a plus for any quarterback and can be very frustrating for pass rushers.

Some terms credited to: http://football.about.com/od/football101/l/bl_glossary.htm
others were my own definitions.
January 24th, 2010 at 06:40pm