Therapists.

So after being curious about the devotion psychotherapists share with their.. patients, I decided to give one a shot. Mind you, it was a volunteer, I received little advice towards the problems that I wanted assistance with.

My problem; a loss of reality. A loss of purpose. A feeling of lost emotions swirling around an ever expanding black hole created by my self pity and self destructive tendencies. All of these things I mentioned, none of these things I received help with. Their advice was what I have always known. "Life has a purpose, and though you may not know what it is yet, you'll eventually find it." I've known this for some time, but I just don't feel the need in searching for something that could possibly find me some day.

Now, I'm not putting them down in any way. Volunteering to help people with personal problems is an amazing thing to do. But it just leads me up to the main question that I've been asking myself for some time now. Though a volunteer couldn't help me in the slightest, could a paid professional provide any real insight into this problem that seems to swallow my mind more and more each day? Or should I just become my own therapist, run the problems through the machine in my head over and over, hoping to somehow find the answer myself?

Do people go through this a lot? Having to deal with their problems alone, no real friend to share these feelings with? Though I have a lot of people I associate myself with, none of which I can really share my feelings with. They'll listen, they'll feel bad, but they can't help. They'll feel the need to help even though they're unable to. What makes therapists any different? Why can they do what people close to me cannot? What I myself cannot seem to overcome on my own?
January 28th, 2010 at 06:00am