Names [A little insight and a few questions; I'm only a little curious=D]

I had a little burst of insight today. I'm still kind of pondering it. It's has to do with... names.

Okay, so when I was little I wished my name was Sara. I have no idea why, but whenever I played pretend as a teacher I always named my student Sara. Then at around age six I wanted to be named Jazz and whenever my cousins and I would play pretend as a full family (mothers, sisters, children- I was always the smallest/youngest so I was always the baby) I would claim the name Jazz. But now, I'm Nicolette (with the occasional- okay, rather timeless nicknames).

And I don't mind the my name anymore. I kind of used to get frustrated with the fact that more of people in the world have my name but in my life my name has a purpose. I don't know if the name grew on me or if I grew into the name. Do you get what I'm saying? Okay, let's choose a common name like... Jessica. Now there are plenty Jessica's in the world right, but each one is different and when you think of Jessica you probably think of the person named Jessica you know (so in my case, she's one of the nicest people I know, she's one of my best friends). You wouldn't really apply it to the other thousands of people named Jessica.

I think I grew into my name, I like that I don't personally know another Nicolette (but since there are about 3,000 kids total in my school there is probably another one). I guess as I got older I stopped wanting to be named anything else but Nicolette. Now I get agitated when people call me Nicole. I'm Nicolette and I'm proud of my name.

So back to my question: Do you think a name grows onto a person or that a person grows into it?

Also I've got a few other questions:

1) Have you always like your name?
2) Do you have a nickname? Who gave it to you?
3) When you were little did you want a different name?
4) What do you think about your name today and how do you think it relates to you as a person now?
January 28th, 2010 at 11:44pm