RIP

This week a grade ten in my school named Rebbecca died. The reason is either of the following, which are just rumors and probably not true.

People were apparently saying nasty things towards her on facebook. In reaction to this she drank to many energy drinks and then some alcohol. And proceeded to hang herself in her closet at around eleven on Sunday.

Or,

She was play the "Hanging Game", I would assume you know what I mean. When you choke yourself to have some sort of high.

Either way my school which only consists of less then five hundred people. Who more or less know everyone by name or face is in a slight panic mode. Car accidents due to alcohol, yes, four wheeler accidents, yes, falling through the ice, yes, suicide or accident that appears suicidal, no.

Its not so much that I want to discuss suicide because I'm not even for certain it was. What I wonder is why people feel the need to put RIP in their facebook status or go to the funeral, of a girl they never knew personally.

Maybe its just me, but I find it rude. Okay its sad, its really sad. But for a couple of weeks people who haven't said one word to this girl, who have never even noticed her before will put it in their facebook statuses, a few will probably even attend the funeral.

But after that, its going to be like it never happened. I can't help but feel that this girl deserves more then a bunch of people just going along with the latest tragedy. People who actually spoke to her, knew her are going to have to deal with her not being around anymore for a way longer time then these RIPS are going to last.

I just feel, that if you really feel that terrible, why not say how sorry you are to one of her friends or family? Instead of putting RIP at then end of your facebook status and not even recognizing her friends existence.
January 29th, 2010 at 06:26am