love just is

my entry for the seventeen magazine 2010 fiction contest. my original work, no copying/plagarism please. :P enjoy =]

She sat on the bed. The fluffy, white and pink polka dotted bedspread reminded her of frosted cupcakes and the simplicity of life as a little girl- no perplexing problems or constant concerns, an obliviousness towards flaws, the exceptional season when boys had cooties. She shut her eyes and sighed; allowing the combination of privacy, solitude and relaxation to relieve her of the tantalizing effect of nostalgia. Her self control was loosened; and the liberation of her cognizance welcomed a reminiscence of the days occurrences. The film of flashbacks registered quickly, scenes emanating like pop up books in the hollow chasm of her thoughts.
Scene one: ice skating rink. "Hey, are you okay?" He asked in concern, aiding her, a sandy blond, in regaining balance from her clumsy plummet on the ice. "Yeah, I'm okay." She replied with a nervous laugh; a blush flushing her face that temporarily painted her cheeks a light scarlet. "I'm just embarrassed, that's all. I'm fine." "Are you sure?" "Yeah." "Okay, good." He replied confidently with a warm smile as his arms transferred from a lock of security around her waist to a scarf of comfort around her shoulders...
Scene two: The driveway. He looked sincerely into her eyes. "Don't you understand? I thought we've talked about this before. I want to show you I love you-with actions, not that overused, everyday three word saying." His eyes and voice were in sync in the yearning to understand, to make her understand. She knew what he was saying was the truth-that the failed return of the i love you was for a reason, that he wouldn't lie to her, that he didn't mean to hurt her. That the pain perceived due to the silence was due to the taunting echo of her insecurities that whispered into her ear she would never be loved-not because he didn't love her back...
Clips of episodes that reflected his love for her played one after another; like an autobiographical romance movie in her mind. The fact that he loved her was validated-but why? Her embarrassment on the ice was just one of many embarrassing moments he happened to witness, and her insecurities just one of many imperfections he was exposed to. How can be love someone like that? Someone like me... Someone as in...me? The concept of being loved seemed foreign to her, like an unfamiliar taste inside her mouth. The savor was abstruse, yet enticing; a mystery on the verge of discovery. She repeated the notion to herself in the chamber of her thoughts, as if attempting to mentally piece together a puzzle. Someone like him... someone as in...him- him, loving someone like me...someone as in me...-he loves me..." The veracity of being loved by him enveloped her in the sensation of his tender embrace; her self doubt shattering like glass chains to the pavement under it's influence. The light of the truth-of love-fulfilled the sudden apprehension-maybe there doesn't have to be a reason-love just is.
February 16th, 2010 at 05:12am