I Don't Understand "Political Correct"ness.

African-American.

What if you were born in America? How does that make you “African American”? Last I checked, if you’re born in America, you’re an American.

What if you’re Jamaican? My black friend Kelsea is Jamaican, and she is absolutely hates having to put “African American” on all of her applications.

What if you’re white and you were born in Africa, then came to America and was granted dual citizenship? Are you African American? When the black people were asked this in my 1st period class, they all answered no; in order to be African American, you need to be black.

What if you’ve never been to America before? Why did the video in Ecology have the narrator calling the people in Africa, “African American”?

Native American

I’m technically a “native American”, seeing as how I was born and raised in the United States. I’m not of the “Native American” heritage, though. I guess I’m not native to America after all 0_o

I’ve met a “Native American” at camp who was born in Germany. He’s still a “Native American”.

Caucasian.

This one pisses me off the most. I am full-blown British. Both sides of my family are from the UK- most of them being natives to Wales, while someone on my mom’s side of the family decided to mate with an English lad somewhere along the way. No matter, I’m British (by blood. Proud American by home, thank you very much). Great Britain is nowhere near the Caucous Mountains, which is the area in which the term Caucasian was derived.

The Irish aren’t Caucasian. The Russians aren’t Caucasian. The Canadians aren’t Caucasian. The French aren’t Caucasian. I highly doubt very many white people can actually say they are.

I don’t mean to offend anyone (most of the time), but why all the “political correct” bullshit? Half the time, it isn’t even accurate. Rarely do you hear black people call each other “African American”, or white people call other white people “Caucasian”.

Come on, even Black History Month is devoid of the misleading African American title. This is why I get pissed every time I’m corrected for saying black rather than “African American”.
February 27th, 2010 at 03:29am