I never thought it would be this bad.

It's been a while since I've written a journal, let alone anything for Mibba. But that's not really relevant to what I'm going to talk about.

I'm going to talk about anorexia.

I'm sure a few of you have clicked away by now, but this isn't going to be what you expect. This isn't a "say no to anorexia!" type of journal -- though I thoroughly agree with that idea. Instead, I'm going to talk about the sickening prospect of girls who want to become anorexic.

What? You think that sounds ridiculous? That's what I thought, too.

I was doing some research on eating disorders, because my extremely thin and malnourished friend thought she was anorexic. (Hopefully she's not, because the mental aspect of the disorder is absolutely terrifying.) Anyways, I was scrolling down the list of websites, when I came across a wonderful little link that almost made the chocolate milk I was drinking spray out of my nose.

How To Become a Better Anorexic

This darling article explains in depth how to achieve that oh-so desirable stick-thin look, including ways to achieve the anorexic state of mind, how to lose all that disgusting weight and how to fool your friends (even though they'll obviously notice the fact that you look like a bag of skin and bones) into thinking that you're not suffering from a potentially deadly eating disorder. :)

Here's a particularly wonderful excerpt:

"Feel your hunger..don't try to suppress it. If you're hungry that means you're losing weight; you WANT to be hungry. If you're not then you're not doing it right. In time you will get a wonderful high off of being hungry and thoroughly enjoy the sensation. Hunger is not your enemy! The sooner this is understood, the sooner you will reach your goals."

Doesn't that just make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

So after reading that bone-chilling article (haha, geddit? bone-chilling, because they're anorexic? no?) I decided to do a little more research. So I looked up "I want to be anorexic" on google (which has a horrifying 931,000 hits) and I found this:

How Can You Become Anorexic, which thankfully is filled with sane comments of "how sick can you be to want to become anorexic?".

However, there are some comments that absolutely knocked me out of my chair.

Things such as "Wow well im a bit shocked to be honnest as iv been wannting to be annorexic for ages im 14 and as i just wanted more attention and would of loved to be a model as every body always says i should be a model because im tall and skinny so iv been wanting to become annorexic." (thankfully, the girl later said that the other comments shocked her, and helped her realize that she was having bad, bad thoughts) and "I do accept anorexia and I feel it is the person's own choice to become anorexic." (this comment is the fourth one from the bottom, accompanied with other ridiculous words that absolutely infuriate me.)

I guess that I'm trying to get at here is: is the media really that bad? Projecting anorexia as a desirable body image?

I don't know guys - this just totally turned my impression of American media on its head. This isn't right, something should be done.

Girls shouldn't want to be stick -- no, bone thin. I'm terrified for the future because of this.



Please note, my biting sarcasm at the beginning (i.e., my use of the words "wonderful" and "darling" was brought on by utter disgust. I don't think that link is darling in the slightest.

oh, and remember:

You don't need to be stick thin to be beautiful.
You just need to believe in yourself, and love who you are, because there is no one better.


/end of an embarrassingly corny journal. :}
March 8th, 2010 at 03:07am