The Stereotype Topic

First things first, this is NOT going to be about whether or not stereotypes are right or wrong, or whether not emo should even be considered one. This is about something I've recently noticed that just simply astounds me!

The older I get (I'm a sophomore now) the less stereotypes seem to matter to me. I don't look at someone and say, "She's a prep, that means she's a slut. He's a goth, so he's apathetic. She's emo, so she must cut herself. He's a skater, so he's a stoner." It's not like I really did that before, but I still labeled people into groups. Now, I don't.

I realize that doesn't matter, because if I judge someone based one what I observe of their behavior, physical and verbal and I judge them based on my gut feeling (because I pay a lot of attention to intuition. Best resource for answer's you've got in my opinion) then I know how to approach them (or to not approach them) and how to deal with them in anyway situation. I've noticed that anyone around me doesn't really use them at all...nope...no body...unless I just ignore it all and haven't noticed.

Do any of you guys do that? Or is stereotypes still a big problem?

By the way I wrote this really fast because I can't feel my fingers... :)
March 12th, 2010 at 06:24am