An entry about my All-State audition that you most likely don't care about.

Walking in with Benji Madden's posi-core attitude, I was ready to go. I met the nicest choir person there, who directed me to the sign-in table. I didn't get his name, though :(

I signed in (with a friend from Regionals) and made my way to the warm-up room. I warmed up with some BFMV tunes, got some blood into my fingers, and went to my room. Meeting some fellow viola players outside of the room was cool. We were all grumbling about how we were the early ones of our friends, so we were the ones that are responsible to tell our viola friends what the scales were. C minor, Bb major, and F# minor. I messed up sooo badly on my arpeggios, but I got a nice laugh out of it.

The etudes were okay. I could have done a bit better, but they were better than how they were in practice <3 My solo was actually nailed, thank you very much. I got the hard shifts and the intervals right! Go me!

The sight reading was easier than the Regionals sight reading, which should just not happen. I liked it, though.

Do I think I made it? I have no idea. I could have been the worst person all day, I could have been the best person all day. All I can judge my performance on is if I did my personal best- and even though there were a few mistakes, I really believe I did my best. And that is all that matters.

When it comes down to it, I realized today that people can judge your ability all they want, but the only opinion that matters about you, is YOURS. If I'm not good enough for the All-State honor orchestra, then I'm not good enough. I'm good enough for me, though.

Having Benji Madden's positive tweets in my viola case really makes me feel extremely positive. I'm looking at everyone from the half-full perspective for once. Maybe now I'll start to get some friends!
March 13th, 2010 at 05:53pm