Thou Shalt Not Judge

Something odd just occured to me. At my school, many people, including my science teacher and my bus driver, seem to be frightened of me because I wear a lot of black and eyeliner, and I dyed my hair black. They think just because some of the music I listen to will never come on the main pop radio station means I'm scary or just because I'm kind of quiet means I'm emo. Normally, this reaction to the way I look causes me great amusement, because I have to admit the look in the girl in front of me in third period's eyes when she asks me if I cut myself is priceless. It is downright hilarious to me when someone asks me if I'm gothic and I reply, "No, are you?" and point out other people in the classroom wearing black. I like to think maybe I'm expanding some people's horizons.

But some of the people who would probably talk to me in a Hot Topic wouldn't here, because I write Jonas Brother fanfictions, my username is after a Taylor Swift song, and my profile has Demi Lovato on it. They might come to the conclusion, just from looking at what I do on here, that I'm a naive little brat who thinks the world of herself. I personally would like to think there is more to me than the fact that I do like Disney but I don't want to have to prove that to people.

I guess what I'm trying to say here is that labels and judging flat out infuriates me. The sad part about it though is that it is never going to change. It is simply human nature to assume things about people we've never met, and only a select few people don't. Its probably why we still have racism in this great country of America. It more than likely explains why people are shooting up schools. How people can look at one aspect of a person's life and think "Oh, well they are nothing like me" absolutely sickens me.

So this world really is always going to be like this, but I myself am going to pray for a day when it doesn't happen.
March 19th, 2010 at 07:55pm