Twilight: The Pros and Cons

Okay, this is probably going to ruffle a lot of feathers, but either stop reading here, or suck it up. I'm going to give all the reasons I like and dislike Twilight. True, I definitely lean towards the latter, but there are a few good things about it. Here's my review on the book, and the movie.

Twilight - The Book

[The Pros]

One thing I definitely liked about the book was the way Meyer described James' obsession. Although Meyer isn't the best at describing it, the concept of "The Hunt" was a very alluring idea, and it struck home to a true vampire fan like me.

Another think I liked about the book was the detachment between Bella and Edward. Edward is from a different time, his customs and mannerisms are different from Bella's. I've always thought this was an important element in vampirism. It allows for depth for the character.

Unfortunately, that's all I can really say about Twilight that I enjoyed.

[The Cons]

Several things about this book irked me. But I'd have to say the thing that got under my skin the most was the vampires themselves. Meyer has a way of sucking all the consequences out of her book. All the things that make being a vampire risky were taken out and replaced with something safe. Lust for human blood was turned to "vampire vegetarianism". Charring to nothing under the rays of the sun was exchanged for sparkling skin. There are consiquences for every action. Becoming a vampire needs to have their risks. Without them, they're just like us. Safe and boring. Vampires aren't safe. Making them safe makes them boring and one dimensional. I don't know about you, but there are certain things about a vampire that attracts me. The fact that they aren't human is one of those things Taking out interesting stuff, the things that make them lethal and dangerous... that makes them humans with extended lives! Vampires are supposed to be tempting, alien, but most of all dangerous. A vampire without danger, to me, isn't a vampire at all. At least, not one I would like to be around.

Another thing that turned me away from Meyer's vampire saga was Meyer's writing style. To me, Bella wasn't very emotional. It seemed like the book was written by a passer by, rather than a first person view point. Books are supposed to make you feel as the teller does. If your teller doesn't feel much, it's more like reading a documentary than reading a diary.

Twilight: The Movie

[The Pros]

Honestly, I hated the movie, and the only thing I have to say that's nice about it was it stuck to the book.

[The Cons]

First of all, I must address the makeup artist and the wardrobe people. I will refrain from sounding like a total bitch, but it will be hard. There were many things wrong with the makeup. The cullens were way to pale, especially the blonde ones. Any close ups on Rosalie, Jasper or Carlisle showed a line of normal tones skin right below the hairline. Also, and this is what kills me, Laurent. It seems the artist had no idea what to do with a black vampire, and just had him go out as is. When black people die, they loose life under they're skin. They get chalky and ashy. Not pale, but dead. Last of all, there was Victoria. Biggest wardrobe fail of the century. Correct me if I'm wrong, but James coven were nomads, right? Therefore they trecked across miles and miles of land at high speeds. Through trees, mud, underbrush, mountains.... and they put Victoria in a fur coat and playboy curls?!?!? I MEAN COME ON!!! DID THEY READ THE BOOK? Her hair was wild and crazy, flaming red, with twigs and leaves in it! I despise these people, and hope they are never hired for another movie ever again.

Another thing that made the movie painful was the acting and script. Edward and Bella were the mmost awkward couple I've ever witness. Every exchange between the two of them litterally made me uncomfortable. Everything that was said was worded horribly, and also delivered with equal inexperience. Watching it was painful.

So this is my Twilight reveiw. I am a firm believer of hating something only if you have a good reason. And those are my reasons.

Books with excitement, depth, and danger that I would recomend to vampire fans: The Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris (or the HBO Trueblood Series) and Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.
March 23rd, 2010 at 12:49am