I'm writing a journal about American Idol. lol my life.

So to those who know me and have seen me babbling around the forums, you'll know that I'm a big Adam Lambert fan and was very interested in season 8 of Idol (aka last year. durh). And because of Adam (and Kris Allen and Allison Iraheta and many others), I feel as if #season8brokeIdol. I've bitched about the suckfest that is season 9 a few times and have only caught a few performances on YouTube, particularly of Siobhan Magnus and Alex Lambert (before he got eliminated - WHYYYYYY), and lurking around the AI community I'm a part of on LJ (ontd_ai) to see who's good, who brings the lulz and who's a douche.

but tonight out of boredom and sheer curiosity, I decided to watch tonight's episode. The theme was Top Billboard Downloads or some shit like that, I don't remember, and Miley Cyrus was the mentor (which confused me, but I didn't really care 'cause I like Miley - haters to the left). so I decided to watch for the lulziness, once again. And to see how much of a trainwreck it was going to be. So I'm writing up a recap here. 'cause i feel like it. and I don't remember the exact order each contestant went in, so I'm gonna wing it.

Lee Dewyze - I actually didn't see all of his performance, but he didn't sound terrible. But all I can think about is the fact that he looks like Danny Gokey's twin brother. no srsly. compare and contrast. I know I'm not the only one who thinks this. but anyways, um...he wasn't terrible. That's the only thing I can say.

Paige Miles - dear God, why is she still on the show? This is the first time I've heard her sing for more than five seconds and BLECH. I mean, Phil Collins? really? That's bad enough, but she straight-up butchered that song. Sorry, girlfriend, you need to go.

Aaron Kelly - I kind've made a ":|" face when I found out he was singing I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing. Allison Iraheta from last season sang it and she killed it and I luhhh her like whoa, so obviously I was thinking that I would just be comparing these two. But it was surprisingly decent. I've never heard this guy sing before, so I didn't know what to expect...okay, that's a lie, I was expecting him to suck tbqh. But he didn't. I mean, he didn't sound perfect, but he made that song his own and didn't butcher it, and I thankfully didn't want to kill him for singing it. obv I liked Allison's version better and the performance wasn't amazing, but it wasn't terrible. And he had laryngitis or something, so it wasn't bad, all things considering. He also totally reminds me of David Archuleta, and Ryan Seacrest agrees with me.

Tim Urban aka the Sanjaya of Season 9 - y'all remember Sanjaya, right? He was on Idol durign Season 6 with Jordin Sparks and he totally sucked and everybody knew it, and he bombed week after week, and yet he kept coming back because he was omg so qt and the girls loved him (Crying Girl. 'nuff said). That is Tim Urban in a nutshell, although he has a better voice. He's cute in a "that one kid from my Biology class that I walk past in the hallways every day" kind of way. (and wtaf kind of analogy was that? fail.) But still, I wouldn't exactly say he was really good. Especially tonight. He sang Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen, and dear God, it was terrible. if Freddie were alive, he would bitchslap him. And all that jumping around and sliding he did was campy and cheesy and gimmick-y. This kid is reeeeeally starting to annoy me.

Crystal Bowersox - Now, from what I've seen of the AI fandom this year, is that Crystal is a huge favorite. And while she has a nice voice, I never understood everybody's huge boner for her, but still, compared to the crap we've heard this far, I still could see her being in the top 2 because she's the most unique out of everybody (next to Siobhan). Still, she bored the ever living hell out of me and I just didn't get all the hype. Which is a bit strange for me, considering the fact that I love folksy, hippie-type singers like her. Then again I see girl's like her performing on the streets of downtown Reno all the time. But like I said, I just didn't get the hype. Until tonight. She sang Me and Bobby McGee by Janis Joplin, and while I'm not surprised at all that she did Janis Joplin (and if I'm not mistaken she's sang a Joplin song before), I was still surprised at how much I actually enjoyed it. Tonight was the first time that she actually impressed me, so props to her. She seemed a bit stiff tho. I think she needs to have more energy in her performances and actually look like she's having fun up there, and I think she needs to change it up instead of just singing and playing the guitar every single week. She reminds me of Kris Allen; she's talented in that really subtle way. But what worked for Kris last year is how much he tried to change it up. One week he'd be singing and playing his guitar (Man in the Mirror), another week he'd just be singing straight-on with no instruments (To Make You Feel My Love/Falling Slowly), another week he'd be at the piano (Ain't No Sunshine - UNF UNF UNF). And he always had a clever way to change up the original songs and make it his own (She Works Hard For the Money/Heartless). That's what Crystal needs to do. Not be a carbon copy of Kris, but use that strategy. Although she said she'd be changing it up next week, so we'll see. Am I jumping on the Bowersox bandwagon? lol no. At least not yet. If she continues to impress and do something unexpected, then yes, I will.

Big Mike - FAKE BITCH, NOT RUBEN. that sounds mean, but srsly u guise. He has a nice, smooth, R&B voice, but TONS of guys like him have nice, smooth, R&B voices (like Ruben Studdard). I just don't think there's anything unique about him. And When a Man Loves a Woman is a lame song anyways. He should've sang Barry White. That would've been hilarious. ::XD: and okay, he's not a bitch (the whole fake bitch thing is a joke that goes around on LJ alot). I like him as a person. He seems like a really loveable guy. He just bores me. sorry, bb.

Andrew Garcia - okay, this dude is really annoying. His dancing tonight was so distracting and all I could think about was DANNY FREAKING GOKEY. Which is not a good thing. I really didn't notice his voice 'cause I was too busy having "Dance Little Sister" flashbacks. *shudder* So, yeah. tl;dr i donut like him.

Katie idon'trememberherlastname - She sang Big Girl's Don't Cry by Fergie and I absolutely HATE that song. But she didn't sound really terrible. But something about her annoys me. I'm not sure what it is. I guess she just seems so...pageant-y? idk. I have to make an Allison Iraheta comparison. Katie's seventeen and while she doesn't have a horrible voice, it's not all that special to me. And she has no stage presence. whereas you have someone like Allison who, when she sings, sounds so much more mature and has great stage presence, and always connected with the songs she sang. So Katie, look up her performances of Cry Baby and I Can't Make You Love Me and take notes. I don't see her lasting another two weeks, to be honest.

Casey ican'trememberhislastname - I like Casey. I like his voice and he's really cute (although he looks a lot like Bucky Covington from season 5). He sang Power of Love, and I can't remember who it's by. I liked his guitar playing with it, but it sort of acted like a crutch to me, in a way. He wasn't moving around much. I think it would've been better if he had ditched the guitar. The song was pretty upbeat and he could've moved around onstage a bit more and connected with the audience. So that kind of played a part in it. His voice didn't sound bad, though. Like I said, I think he needs more energy. Also, I didn't know he was the "rocker" of the group. He seems more country to me. but meh, w/e. Like I said, I like Casey, but I don't love him.

Didi Benami - I didn't really have much of an opinion of her before, but I liked her performance. It was one of the best from tonight, and I have no idea why the judges were so harsh to her. Compared to the shitfest that was tonight, it was pretty damn good. I'm pretty sure she'll be coming back next week, so I'd like to see more of her. She has a good voice.

Siobhan Magnus - Okay, here's my issue with Siobhan. From day one I liked her. She's really freaking cute, she's awkward in a very endearing way, and overall, I love her personality. I like her singing voice, too. It's one of the best out of the rest of the group, imo, and she has this high note that she hits. The first time that I heard it was Top 24 week (or whatever you want to call it), and I liked it. And then last week she sang Paint it Black by the Rolling Stones and hit that high note again, and it's sort of become her signature "scream." Rolling Stone's already calling her Lady Lambert, and while I can see why people would immediately make that comparison, I have to completely disagree. The scream she hit last week wasn't "Lambert-esque" at all. There was no pitch, no notes, no control, just flat-out screaming. Her voice leading up to that scream sounds great, but that scream itself? NO THANK YOU. And yet the judges compeltely praised her and everywhere I go, I keep erading the same thing over and over. People could argue that that's how Adam was, and everybody has their own opinion and I totally get where they're coming from, but there's a big difference. Adam has a lot more control, and part of it has to do with how experienced he is. He went on Idol when he was 27 and has been singing since he was ten. He's had training and been in God knows how many musicals and has been doing this for a long time. Siobhan is only twenty and is a theatre kid herself, but as far as I know, hasn't had any training. When she holds that long note, there are no notes at all, like I said, just flat-out screaming. This week I'd figure she'd tone it down - which she did...sort of. She sang Superstition, which is a great song. And she sounded pretty damn good in the beginning and in the middle. Then she did this short little version of her scream, which didn't sound bad. Then she belted out that longer note at the end and...yeah. I feel like if she'd just did the song without that huge note, it would've been soooooo much better. But it was like last week. Not as bad, but not that much different. If she keeps doing that at the end of every song each week, then I'm going to have a big problem with this. Not even Adam did that every week. He knew when to tone it down and show people how much he could do with his voice, even in just the first and second week. He was unpredictable in that sense and that's what made him so exciting every week. I've had so many people tell me that while they hated the high notes he hit, they could still admit he had a unique voice and was actually talented. If Siobhan keeps up with this strategy every single week, people are going to get really sick of it, really fast. And I say this as a person who genuinely likes Siobhan, a lot. So Siobhan - think like Adam and show people that you're not all just crazy, screamy notes and that you're actually a good singer. You don't want your fans to have Scream On flashbacks. God knows I don't. If you don't know what Scream On is, be lucky you haven't heard the atrocity that is Danny Gokey singing Aerosmith. don't look it up. no srsly, your ears will thank you. I still haven't forgiven him for that. adghcfashcdhjasfg

jesus, talk about tl;dr. But I'm bored and wanted to get this out. All in all, I still hate this season and still think it's a shitfest with the exception of a couple people. I don't even know if I'll be watching next week. oh, and Miley was a surprisingly good mentor and gave good advice. go Miley. \o/. so, mibbians, if you're Idol fans and have watched it this week, who was your favorite and who totally needs to gtfo? If you've watched past seasons, which season was your fave and what was your favorite Idol performance EVAR? and if you don't watch it, then tell me what artist you're currently obsessed with and what concert you're planning on going to next. idk.

Have y'all seen Alice in Wonderland yet? I saw it last weekend and it was pretty awesome. Totally loved the Mad Hatter. then again Johnny Depp is my favorite actor, so I'm biased. I wanted him and Alice to kiss at the end. Am I completely weird for thinking that, or did anyone else think the same thing? The kids at school here kept bitching about the fact that it wasn't an exact remake of the original Disney movie (it was actually based off of Through the Looking Glass, so yeah), but I don't get what their problem was. It was pretty cool to me. Especially in 3D. To those who saw it in 3D, did you keep the glasses? I did. pfft, they expect me to just throw them away afterwards? Uh, lol no. my ticket was an extra $3.25, you best believe I'm keeping that shit. They actually just looked like my pair of prescription sunglasses. But whatevs, I kept 'em anyways.

well, I'm done pretending to be Michael Slezak and Jim Cantiello. peacealate, bro-ha's. (anybody who knows what YouTube person I'm referencing gets extra cool points.)
March 24th, 2010 at 09:17am