Love is the Greatest Evil of all

Love, my friends is evil. Oh yes I’m quite aware that this might start a debate and I’ll be the only one defending this point of view. Part of me just wants to play devils advocit. And when I did a speech about this in my high school public speaking class I got referred to the guidance councler. And Im kind of in a bad mood thats why I started writting this. Oh and for those of you who are going to bring up I was hurt and I’m just bitter, well your right, but I’ve seen this happen time and time again to my friends. Oh and I mean romantic love, I’m not talking about the love for family, or friends. (Oh and I plan on ranting about the love of friends in a later journal) But I mean honestly lets take a look at Love shall we…
We are all taught, through media , fairy tales, even our parents that all we need in life is love. The world is meant for pairs. This paring off makes people who are alone feel like they are inadequate in some way. Which is not true. Do you know how many people have killed themselves because someone dumped them, or didn’t return their love, or just could no longer handle being alone when everyone else had someone? How can something so supposedly good cause something so evil? Then what about love causing people to kill others. You walk in on your lover in bed with someone else and you kill them both, that’s love again is it not, is murder a sin? I thought so. Oh and What about the Trojan war? Yeah that was caused cause of Paris’s ‘love’ for Helen, okay yeah I know her falling for him was Aphrodite’s gift to Paris for picking her as the fairest, but whatever, love whether it was forced upon her by the goddess of love or she fell willingly it still caused a war isn’t war something that we as a society view as evil? That’s what I thought.
Next point, what do a lot of people do after they have a hard break up? They turn to drugs and alcohol to dull the pain correct. Or perhaps you start dating the wrong person and because you ‘love’ them you start doing drugs and drinking to fit in with them. This can lead to alcoholism and drug dependence especially if its started during high school years. Don’t we as a society look down upon said addictions? Should we not look down on the underlying cause of this?
Did you know 50% of marriages in the United States end in divorce? Do you know why? Because they were based on love . The chemical that causes the feeling of love only lasts for 6 months but the feeling of companionship that it creates lasts considerably longer but eventually it fades too. So what happens here people start to fight and they get divorced and kids get put in the middle and they end up in therapy or forever scared because of the divorce of their parents.
All love stories end in tragedy even if by some freak chance you stay together the lovers will eventually be parted by death. Leaving someone behind breaking someone heart. But how often does that happen in this day and age. If we constantly seek love are we not masochists? We know were going to get hurt so why do we go looking for something that’s going to cause pain. We must get off on it.
A teacher once told my class to respond to this quote, “Tis better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all.” Even then I didn’t understand this. The pain of a heart break almost killed me. Why would I want to do that again? Its not worth it. In my opinion, all I need to lead a good life if the love of friends and my hand.
March 30th, 2010 at 03:33am