March 30, 2010 - Rant about the Catholic school I go to [:

Usually, I don't believe in broadcasting my thoughts on things to the world. Usually, my thoughts are just too strong, as are my beliefs and my opinions, and i feel that they'll offend someone. Usually, I'm too afraid to be judged by what I say and do. That's what usually happens. Today is different. Today is a new day, as is every other. And today, I'm going to share some of my innermost thoughts with you.

Let's get this straight first. I'm fourteen years old and I'm absolutely insane. Most of the girls that I know in my grade are obsessed with Justin Bieber and hairstyles, and the deepest and most sincere they get is discussing their huge egos, matched only by the huge compliments given by their brainwashed followers. That's fifty-percent of what I see everyday when I attend school and, although I don't creepily watch, I do tend to observe my eighth grade class.

Like I said, I'm absolutely insane. I read into everything too much and then think it over again. I try to think of an explanation for the strangest things, and when I'm not satisfied, I just move on to the next phenomenon until later. I'm not normal. That's why I'm telling you, whoever you are, this. Because if you've read this far, that means you're interested. And that means you understand me.

So right now, I'm planning on just rambling on about the cliques in my small Catholic school and what goes on. Most look onto Catholic school students as Jesus freaks or snobs, because our parents pay tuition to send us to hell for seven hours a day. I will tell you straight up, that is absolutely not what it's like. Well, the snob part, maybe for some people, but at my school there's not one person even remotely close to a Catholic school stereotype.

Like most other schools, we have our jocks, our artists, or crazy psychopathic teachers, our teachers who think we have no life besides schoolwork, and our absolute douche bags; in which both students and teachers tend to fall. But there are a few big details that set the social scene in my school very far apart from the rest. There are thirty-three students in the class of 2010, most of which have been in the same grade together for eight years. Also, we are carefully monitored for all seven hours of our trip to hell; down the hallways [during which we form two straight lines like in some weird television show], in every class, during recesses and lunch period, and pretty much anywhere else we could be found. Every seat is assigned, and every motion and motive is monitored. That, dear reader, is a huge pain in the ass.

Also, what may surprise you is that there is absolutely no makeup or nailpolish allowed in my school. So those girls you see in movies with the plaid skirts up to their asses and the eyeliner to their ears smacking bubble gum with earings the size of the planet itself? Yeah, they're not from our neck of the woods. They're from a wonderful little town called Hollywood, along with Mickey Mouse and Hannah Montana.

Although we're all like siblings, since we've watched each other grow, there's still the regular events related to Middle School and hormones: cliques, dating, and other absolutely rediculous drama. There's the cool crowd, consisting of the egomaniacs and whoever wishes to give up their own self respect in order to fit in, as long as they agree to the silent pact of worshiping the egomaniacs mentioned before, and then there's my friends and I, who would rather laugh at all the stupid things that happen within "The Circle" than be complete sell-outs. What we do during our recesses is pretty much talk about the most retarted subjects our minds could conjure up, be silent for a second, and listen to the out of key "Circle" interpretation of some song heard last night on Z100, or overhear something about so and so's hair or so and so's boyfriend. That's pretty much what goes on at Catholic school. Besides the dress codes and the constant monitoring, we have a huge population of your average egomaniac children who will soon be egomaniac teenagers growing to be egomaniac adults.

One thing I love about our school, however, is our choir. Sure, there's the key lead who thinks she can sing, but absolutely can't, but then there's me, the person who pretty much lives on the fact that there will be an excuse to play the guitar and sing during the seven hours stuck in the four walls that shelter our little neighborhood, despite the fact that it will be some Jesus freak song that nobody cares about. In those two minute long songs, everybody's united. There's always some kind of music ringing throughout the over-controlled halls, and although sometimes annoying, everybody knows that we'd all go insane without the somewhat in-key sounds coming from some random classroom.

Yeah, we're all different. Yeah, we're not what you'd expect. Yeah, if you're coming to our school looking for a bunch of stereotypical Jesus freaks to laugh about, you're probably going to be disappointed. Yeah, most of us will probably never talk again after June this year. But in the tradition of the free-flowing musical spirit of our school, we're all the same.
March 31st, 2010 at 04:10am