One word: Homosexuality

On my way home, I stumbled upon an old friend from high school. It was unusual to see him on the streets, but then I noticed a few of his belongings scattered onto the sidewalk. He didn't recognize me, but I could tell that he has been suffering an unpleasant misfortune. I didn't know how to approach him, but at the same time my heart told me to confront him. I couldn't pass up an opportunity to help an old friend in need.

As I came to reintroduce myself and remind him of our friendship, I came to realize that he has was rejected by his parents because of his homosexuality and was kicked out of his own home. I remember his words, "My dad said he could NOT have a gay son..." it seemed as though they didn't give him a choice at all.

"I don't choose to be this way. It just happened..." he said. I can only imagine how difficult it would be to have an additional growing pain that all teens suffer. Personally, my father never accepted me, so I had a small idea of his situation.

It is common for young people to use words associated with homosexuality as insults or, more generally, as negative adjectives. The term "Faggot" is so often used that even homosexuals use it around themselves.

I spent a few hours listening to him. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the right words to say that could possibly give him hope for a better tomorrow. I offered to help him, but mentioned that I was also struggling with my life. But I couldn't be selfish and I certainly couldn't compare my situation with his, even though we were both in pain, isolated from society, and separated from our families.

It is ironic to have society deliberately encourage the discrimination of homosexuals, because we were always taught to "respect" every culture, every race, every thing that humanity has to offer. Hasty judgments always lead to conflict. People always make an opinion based on what they see without having enough knowledge of the situation to construct a good evaluation.

People are judged by the way they dress. Apparently there is a code to how a girl or a boy should appropriately present themselves: If you're a guy, you must wear pants and ties and if you are a girl you must wear pretty dresses.
What society doesn't realize is how gender roles have changed throughout the years since Elizabeth Cady Stanton wrote the Declaration of Sentiments, initiating the long struggle towards women's rights and woman suffrage.
Gender identity is often questioned, but as we learn more on the effects of our actions and opinions toward the concept, we can expand our compassion and understanding.

This is a new century. And if you hadn't noticed...the guys are formed to look like girls with their long hair and tight pants while girls have shown more masculinity with their short hair, baggy pants, and t-shirts. We like how we look and we shouldn't be judged because we are different.

You should think, "well... what if I were in their shoes?" and maybe your perspective can be altered...

If you are like me and believe that everyone deserves a second chance, that change should be a good thing, then remember to celebrate the Day of Silence on April 16.
Small steps lead to a change. Make the change better for everyone.
March 31st, 2010 at 06:21am