Indifference can make a big difference

I've been spending a lengthy amount of time behind the books recently as I have some serious exams coming my way. There is a noticeable trend I have began to spot when I study intensely. I really do like being educated and I don't mean this in a nerdy way, so to speak. I just like the knowledge, the ability to learn more about the vast world and the incomprehensible amount of information out there. To understand more, to know more. That's not to say that I'm a fan of being tested via formal exams. I don't like that that's the way we have to be tested. I understand their purpose completely and I am in no position to argue against that. It's just a little disappointing. Education should mean something. It should make you feel enlightened and liberated. It should make you care - care that you know a little bit more about the world that you live in. What's fascinating to me is that it's all coherent. You don't have to join the puzzle pieces, you don't have to construct the bigger picture. That's done for you. Someone did it for you and now that information is just being shared with you. Learning stuff, it's structured. It's not messy like the other things in life, where you have to put in the pieces of the puzzle together. I'm not a huge nerd that lives to study or anything like that. I'm just intrigued by the usefulness and interestingness of the information that I have acquired through just paying attention and caring a little bit about what my teachers had to say. You must have had that one teacher that is so passionate for that one subject they teach. That's education. For someone to be so passionate and thrilled to pass on and share something with you. To really care that much about something. It's not whether you put in a personal judgement on a seven mark question, it's whether you found it worth caring about. I've got exams in a month and I'll keep the exam techniques and exam advice in mind but in the midst of all this chaos, I will remember to care. Just care, for the things that someone else structured and put together for me. Maybe it's not my field of interest, but it's still something to someone and I guess if I came up with something worth sharing, I'd just like people to care. I wouldn't care if they knew how to write an essay question on it, I'd just want it to be significant to them.
April 3rd, 2010 at 06:51pm