That Odd Day That Floats Between Good Friday And Easter Sunday That Doesn't Seem To Have A Meaning..

Today is an odd day. It is stuck between Good Friday and Easter Sunday.

On Good Friday, it says in the Bible, that Jesus was crucified. That day was a sad day, a day the world wept.
On Easter Sunday, it says in the Bible, the man they loved and killed rose again, and was no longer dead. It was a joyful day, a day the world rejoiced.

But what about the Saturday in between? What is so special about that day? Nothing... It just seems to float there in mid air, the day no one really seems to care about. If you aren't religious then, Good Friday won't have much of an effect on you either other than pubs not being open and a few shops you might need not being open. But the Saturday will have no meaning what so ever... none. It's like the middle child among three siblings. It's quiet and unnoticeable. A loner. A normal day, just like any other, glued between two holidays.

I feel sorry for this Saturday, as a middle child, I know how that feels. It sucks.

Today for me, was a perfect example of that. I had to cancel my plans with my friend Anna to go bowling with a group of friends that I hadn't seen in ages to baby sit my two younger siblings while my parents went out to shop and my sister and her new baby came over while my other sister who has her leaving cert, like GCSE's or SATs for those who don't know what that is, was bossing me around the place. At the same time, I had to look after my younger siblings, make sure the four year old and eight year old did nothing wrong and got food and took their vitamins and their other medications and make sure they stayed clean and stayed hydrated and didn't get kidnapped. All the while my oldest sister was asking me for favors to help with the baby.

Then my sister who was supposed to be studying invited over my long time childhood friend who she had stolen from me and expected me to hang out with her and go buy them both sweets at the shop, WHILE I finished everything else. I also had to do homework and my own laundry and I had to find time to walk the dog, who is a big Samoyed Huskey and I was lucky that I managed to find the time.

Eventually my eldest sister asked me to hold her eleven day old daughter, my niece, Isobel while she went to the bathroom and I sat down on the couch, with her against my chest, while my sister and my friend watched Up and I fell asleep with the baby on my chest. Before anyone asks or worries, no I did NOT drop the baby. No, my sister was NOT mad at me for falling asleep, being the eldest she knew what it was like and understood. Isobel was content to sleep on me so she left us be.

Although, when my parents got home it was straight away that I had to be awake and working. I felt like Cinderella except with no happily ever after. I gave my sister her baby back and I had to cook dinner in half an hour for eight people. I got screamed at a LOT. Then I had to get my younger siblings ready while we all went to church. As soon as I got home though, it was straight to work. My sister had gone home with her baby but I still had a lot of work to do. I sat and labored and my sister just sat on the couch and watched me. She's 19, I'm 14. I am more mature than she is. She is 19 and she can't do anything for herself, she really needs to grow up. She refused to help me when I asked, pretending to take offense so that she could storm off in a huff.

I finally have time to myself. I would've been fine with working so hard today, if it weren't for the fact that everyone was so rude to me, acting like I had done something wrong the whole time. If everyone had simply said thank you at me, instead of shouting that I was in the way of the TV. I would've been okay. But they didn't, so I feel stuck in the middle and alone.

My back is in absolute pieces. I am in so much pain right now from all the work I did.

Is this what it is like for that poor Saturday in between the two holidays? Picking up all the pieces from the day before and preparing for the next day with out so much as a thank you for all its back-breaking labor. Does anyone ever think about this lonely day? Call me an odd ball but I am very sympathetic to this day and it would be my favorite day of the year if bad things didn't happen to me all the time on this particular day.

Does anyone else feel the same way as me? Does anyone have any sympathy for this lonely day?
April 4th, 2010 at 12:08am