Wow, I haven't written a journal in ages. (I have a very, very weird story to tell about my father.)

Right now, I am supposed to be reading To Kill A Mockingbird, but I came across this part where Scout says that Dill tells lies and one of them was that he flew on mail planes.

And, well, that is actually quite funny because on Easter Saturday, three of us (excluding my oldest sister, Toni, who had to work), went to dad's house because it was my brother's birthday that day. We were all standing around the counter-top and he was telling us this story that, quite frankly, is unbelievable.

When my father was young, (about fourteen, he must have been because my aunt was seventeen and they're three years apart) his mother (my nana) and father (grandpa) moved themselves and him off to Melbourne (Australia), leaving his two older sisters and two older brothers to fend for themselves in Hamilton, New Zealand.

He was enrolled in school right away and ended up living there for four months. My grandparents were very, very poor (I don't even want to re-tell those stories) and they used to drop him off at the airport because he loved to watch the planes come in and out and had this little radio and that get into the frequency line.

And apparently, the people at the Central Australian Airport knew him and his story pretty well and felt bad for him so they actually let him on a plane. A Boeing 747 to be exact. They let him have it all to himself for the day and all he did was like, run up and down it and apparently underneath in the cargo lot is huge, and he was just amazed. They let him on a plane every single day for the rest of the summer.

What a weird story, right? It gets weirder. Apparently they also let him tell the planes which gate to come in and things like that over in the Communications Tower. I mean, he had to read it off a script of course, but still. It's kinda cool to think about.

I guess that's why he's always wanted to be a pilot.

Anyway, I'm back to reading "To Kill A Mockingbird." It has to be finished by the time school starts again (end of next week) because it's our novel study for this year) and I also have heaaaaaps of other homework to catch up on.
April 7th, 2010 at 12:51am