Motion City Sountrack Concert! [Warning: journal filled with awesome content.]

So I spent last week at my brother's house, hanging out and painting his entire kitchen along with various other objects throughout his house. Really, I love being over there. He's just so chill and funny. It's a very nice change in atmosphere compared to my parents' house. Anyway, let's get to the point of this journal: the Motion City Soundtrack concert yesterday.

My brother left his phone in the living room where I sleep on the couch so that I could wake up at 7:45 because we didn't go to sleep until around 2:30am. I ended up waking up about three minutes before the alarm went off, so I looked to see if my brother had set any other alarms for himself. Turns out, there were three alarms all set for 8:30. So I took the phone and set it by his bed, then started getting ready while talking to Abi on GChat.

I got a little distracted talking to her and I noticed it was 8:35, yet I hadn't heard the alarm go off. So, I went in there and looked at the alarm again. All three were now set for 9am. I figured my brother woke up at some point and set it for a later time. Now, I knew we had to go pick the car up from my house and be there by 9:30 (and it takes 30 minutes to get from his house to mine), but I figured he knew what he was doing. So I let him sleep, although I did say, "Hey," quite loudly to try to wake him up, but he didn't, so I went back to talking to Abi.

At 8:48, he came out of his bedroom and was all "WTF," 'cause he saw the time and asked why I didn't wake him up. I told him about the alarms and he said he didn't know anything about them. When he went to get his phone, all three alarms were no longer set. So by then I was headdesking and he was running around trying to get ready. We ended up getting to my house seven minutes late, and my parents were freaking out 'cause we had to take my car to get looked at in Evansville before we went to see MCS, and they were saying we weren't going to make it on time.

My "dad" threw a hissy fit like he always does, and we ended up leaving ten minutes later than we would have if he hadn't. I drove almost the entire way to Evansville (which, btw is where the band was playing and is two hours away from my house). When we got closer to the city, I pulled over and let my brother drive. (I just cannot handle city traffic. Just the thought makes me all shaky.)

We ended up getting lost because apparently "Google maps fails." So we called the dealership where the car appointment was and they gave us directions. We got the car checked out, they said nothing was wrong, then we left and headed toward the university where the concert was being held.

We got to the university around 2pm. The bands weren't playing until 8:30, but it was all for this university Springfest thing so there was a carnival and stuff going on all day as well. We decided when we got there that we'd check out the Physical Activities Center, or as we called it all day, PAC before doing anything else 'cause that's where the bands were going to be playing. There was no type of security there or anything, so we walked in and were in a hallway. Music was blasting from the main gym area, so we walked over to the doors and looked through the glass. We were at the opposite end of the gym from the stage, so it was hard to see who it was, but then the music stopped and a voice that I recognized right away started talking about sound and acoustics. It was Justin!

We walked down the hall to the doors that were right by the stage. One of them was open, so we just stood there and watching Motion City do their sound check. It was so awesome. Eventually, we edged our way into the gym and ended up just standing there, with no one else there, watching them. It felt so amazing. Finally, someone came and said they were gonna close the door, so we had to come out. Right by the doors was a bench, so I was sitting there while my brother went to the bathroom that was around the corner. Then Matthew Taylor (backup vocals and guitar) and Jesse Mack (keyboard and sounds) walked through the doors. I said, "Hey," to both of them and they both said it back, then went into the bathroom.

My brother comes out and shows me that he got a picture with them both. I was so jealous, but unfortunately after that, his phone died, so no more pics. I don't know why we didn't take a camera. But we did take a camcorder! ::tehe:

Anyway, we ended up sitting there for quite a while, where I ended up saying hey and talking to the girl that sells their merchandise and goes on tour with them and is Justin's BFF called wonkybonkers on Twitter while my brother was in the bathroom/lounge getting this picture of the band updating their Tumblr page.

We then watched some of the band excluding Tony and Justin play basketball outside, which was pretty entertaining.

Then we went down and rode some rides at the carnival and came back around 7 and got in line outside.

I forgot to mention that while we were sitting on that bench, I also made friends with the lead singer of Sing It Loud. He was so nice. And he recognized me while he was coming through the line and talking to people about their new album.

After what felt like forever, we went inside and got in the second line behind the barrier. Then, Sing It Loud came on and Pat kept smiling at me. It was so adorable, and the music was actually pretty good. After a long set change, Rocket to the Moon played, but I really didn't care for them at all. Apparently the audience really liked them though. There was this older dude that appeared to be a burnt out punk that made his way right behind me and kept pushing me really hard into the people in front of me and was trying to mosh and kept saying, "Come on, have fun," but it wasn't fun for anyone but him. It was hurting and scaring me. Plus, they said no moshing in the beginning anyway because of college policy. I looked around with a frightful face to my brother and he kept pulling the dude off, but ever time he'd let go, the dude kept pushing me. So my brother finally wedged himself between me and the dude (who was seriously intoxicated, btw) and said, "Dude, get the f*ck off my sister. I'm serious," and was totally ready to knock him out. Then the dude just gave him a weird look and left. Never saw him again.

Another long set change and Fun came out and played. They were actually really good. Good enough for me to download some of their music. It was funny too because the lead singer looked like Brendon Urie from the back and one of the guitarists looked like Ryan Ross from certain angles. I thought of trying to take a pic and sending it to Dru and being like, "Guess who I saw?!" ::tehe: But I'm not that mean and I didn't have the camera.

I was trying to tell my brother that they looked like them and I said, "The lead singer looks a little like Brendon Urie from Panic at the Disco a from certain angles and that guitarist kind of looks like Ryan..." and I could not for the life of me remember his last name. It drove me nuts until this morning when I got online and Abi answered the question for me. ::XD:

Anyway, after Fun there was another long set change. By then, my back, legs, neck, and feet were killing me. But then, Justin walked on stage and I forgot about everything but him. They started playing and I started jumping and head bobbing and singing and it just went by so fast. It was amazing though. Matt kept looking at Dustin and I and smiling. I made a heart with my hands for him and he smiled even bigger. Justin did this BAMF dance movies during certain songs and said the funniest things like, "Most of the things I say don't interest anyone," to which my brother and I thought "interesting". ::tehe:

Here's the songs they played, in order:

My Favorite Accident
Attractive Today
The Future Freaks Me Out
Pulp Fiction
Broken Heart
Delirium
When You're Around
This is for Real
Last Night
A Lifeless Ordinary
Even if it Kills Me (you can totally hear my wooing in the first part of the video. My brother recorded this.)
@!#?@! (which was named Mother Effer on their setlist and is thus what I will call it from now on)
Worker Bee
Don't Call it a Comeback
Her Words Destroyed My Planet
Let's Get F*cked Up and Die

and for the encoure, they played:

Disappear
and
Everything is Alright

Gah, so much love.
They were just so amazing.

After the concert, we left right away because we were both dehydrated and emaciated.
We'd both only eaten a bowl of cereal in the morning, a power bar, and half of a 100 calorie pack.

We ended up having to drive for an hour and fifteen minutes before finding a place that was open to eat. -headdesk-

But we made it home safe and sound and had the best sleep of our life. ::XD:

The only thing I really wish they would have done was played Fell Inlove Without You acoustic because that's my all-time favorite song of theirs, but they did play my two favorite new songs which are "Her Words Destroyed My Planet" and "Disappear", so I'm a happeh panda.

I also wish Justin would have shown his face sometime throughout the entire day, but at least I got to talk to some of the band members. It was an overall awesome experience.

PS - This is what Justin said on his twitter after the show:

Word up to the humans in Evansville! The show tonight was radtastic! Glad you spent your Saturday with us! See you next time around!!!
April 11th, 2010 at 09:59pm