I'm Looking For Your Opinion (Por Favor?)

Debates suck. I have to do one tomorrow morning for my mid-term. My team is on the affirmitive side of human cloning, and my sub-topic is that cloning would be beneficial to people who can't naturally have children.

What I'm asking of you, dear Mibbians, is if there's anything you would change? (Ignoring the half-done in-text citations), where do you think I can improve it? Do you have anything I could add, even if it's mindless rhetoric?

The infertility rate in Canada is anywhere between 7 and 8.5%. That means over a quarter of a million couples are unable to naturally conceive children (Norris, Sonya). The frustration, stress, and disappointment that these people experience is hard to understand by others who may take it for granted. Cloning would offer them a viable alternative to such procedures as in vitro fertilization, which can be painful and expensive. Not to mention that IVF has a less than 40% success rate, a percentage that greatly decreases as the age of the woman involved increases (IVF Canada). The procedure of IVF involves taking gametes from a man and a woman, and combining them to form an embryo. This embryo is then placed in a woman’s uterus. This can be very painful for a woman, not to mention the cost! If a couple does not meet a number of requirements, such as if the woman is over the age of forty, then the cost of IVF can be as much as $15,000 per treatment. And not each treatment is guaranteed to work.

Of course, in vitro fertilization wouldn’t be able to help any couples with defective gametes. Not to mention same-sex couples, or single men or women who want to have a child of their own. Cloning, however, has the potential to give all of those people one of the most natural aspirations there is: the chance to raise a family. The pain of being told you will never be able to have children is almost that of actually losing a child. That waste of potential is heartbreaking to hopeful, would-be parents. There are some who will say that human cloning is unethical. But since not everyone follows the same moral code and have the same beliefs of right and wrong, who are we to deny anyone the right to a choice?

Help D:
April 16th, 2010 at 03:13am